Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rich

Default Outboard maintenance for low use situations???

Got a chance to have a boat at a good location on salt water, but it is a
situation where the boat and motor will rarely be used and have to work with
almost no prep when it does get used. 280 mile trip to the water and boat
for only a weekend's use. The last time I tried this I wound up with a
motor that wouldn't start. Motor will be in the 15 to 30 hp range manual
start.

Questions:
Are two strokes going to be better or worse for this application than four
strokes?
Will treating the fuel with gas treatment be enough? It is sometimes as
long as six months between uses.
Am I going to have to run it dry (the carb) and then spray some hard to fing
"secret" stuff into it to leave it that long?
I can mix 6 gals. at a time of 2 stroke and then use that fuel somewhere
else if that's what it will take. But what about the engine itself?

Thanks,
Richard