Rich

Default Outboard maintenance for low use situations???

Got a chance to have a boat at a good location on salt water, but it is a
situation where the boat and motor will rarely be used and have to work with
almost no prep when it does get used. 280 mile trip to the water and boat
for only a weekend's use. The last time I tried this I wound up with a
motor that wouldn't start. Motor will be in the 15 to 30 hp range manual
start.

Questions:
Are two strokes going to be better or worse for this application than four
strokes?
Will treating the fuel with gas treatment be enough? It is sometimes as
long as six months between uses.
Am I going to have to run it dry (the carb) and then spray some hard to fing
"secret" stuff into it to leave it that long?
I can mix 6 gals. at a time of 2 stroke and then use that fuel somewhere
else if that's what it will take. But what about the engine itself?

Thanks,
Richard

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:31:16 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

Got a chance to have a boat at a good location on salt water, but it is a
situation where the boat and motor will rarely be used and have to work with
almost no prep when it does get used. 280 mile trip to the water and boat
for only a weekend's use. The last time I tried this I wound up with a
motor that wouldn't start. Motor will be in the 15 to 30 hp range manual
start.

Questions:
Are two strokes going to be better or worse for this application than four
strokes?

Well, I can only use anecdotal experience, but two strokes will
usually start after long periods of inactivity easier than four stroke
engines. Admittedly, I have almost no experience with four stroke
outboards, but I have a ton of experience with small four stroke
engines on garden tractors and the like. For example, I have a 35 hp
Gale outboard in the garage that started first try after sitting still
and unused for over six years. I can't think of a four stroke garden
tractor that I've restored that has done that and I've done a bunch of
them.

Will treating the fuel with gas treatment be enough? It is sometimes as
long as six months between uses.

Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to put fresh gas/oil into the tank. If, as
you mentioned below, you can use the gas/oil somewhere else, then
that's the best answer.

Am I going to have to run it dry (the carb) and then spray some hard to fing
"secret" stuff into it to leave it that long?

It won't hurt to do that. Again, use a light machine oil like Marvel,
WD-40 or PB Blaster to protect it.

On an engine that small, it's not a big chore to pull the plugs and
spray the cylinders with Mystery Oil or some other light weight oil
for the down time.

You might also want to mist the engine exterior just to keep the
moisture at bay for long periods of time.

You didn't mention if the motor/boat will be stored outside or inside.
If outside, you might want to invest in a simple motor cover - that
can help keep moisture out.

I can mix 6 gals. at a time of 2 stroke and then use that fuel somewhere
else if that's what it will take. But what about the engine itself?

As long as you take reasonable precautions, it will be fine. Flush
the engine with fresh water (run it at idle for at least 15/20 minutes
with a set of "earmuffs" - just don't go over idle), mist the engine,
spray the cylinders and that should just about do it.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Doug Kanter

Admittedly, I have almost no experience with four stroke
outboards, but I have a ton of experience with small four stroke
engines on garden tractors and the like.

OK, Mr. Tons of Experience, solve THIS mystery. :-) My Aryens snow blower
starts instantly every single time (pull start). It's 5 years old. Doesn't
matter if it's receive proper off-season treatment or not. One pull.
Sometimes, there'll be a second or two of smoke, but after that, it's clean.
It's got a 4-cycle Tecumseh engine. What the hell IS it with those
engines???

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:40:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

Admittedly, I have almost no experience with four stroke
outboards, but I have a ton of experience with small four stroke
engines on garden tractors and the like.

OK, Mr. Tons of Experience, solve THIS mystery. :-) My Aryens snow blower
starts instantly every single time (pull start). It's 5 years old. Doesn't
matter if it's receive proper off-season treatment or not. One pull.
Sometimes, there'll be a second or two of smoke, but after that, it's clean.
It's got a 4-cycle Tecumseh engine. What the hell IS it with those
engines???

Ariens used the industrial (HD) Tecumseh engine up until this year.
Cast iron sleeve, yada, yada, yada. Damn things are indestructible.
I have an 1128 that is three years old and starts first time, every
time.

I have a 1036 Ariens snowblower that is 15 years old and it starts
first pull, everytime. The 1036 has been well maintained, but still -
it's been used and abused over the years - it just won't stop running.

Now, the Ariens 1832 lawn tractor is only two years old and is the
worst lawn tractor I have ever bought - simply, a pile of crap. I'm
trading it this spring for a zero turn - not an Ariens you can bet on
that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928).
Doug Kanter

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:40:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

message
.. .

[...]

You ought to write them a letter. This is one product group whose success
depends on word of mouth.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:15:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I have direct access to the factory through a local friend who owns a
tractor sales/service/distributorship.

He doesn't sell Ariens anymore.

Ariens could care less. Honest to pete. I got nothing from them -
it's was basically, it's yours - you deal with it.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Doug Kanter

You ought to write them a letter. This is one product group whose success
depends on word of mouth.

I have direct access to the factory through a local friend who owns a
tractor sales/service/distributorship.

He doesn't sell Ariens anymore.

Ariens could care less. Honest to pete. I got nothing from them -
it's was basically, it's yours - you deal with it.

That's spooky. Maybe they're headed for China.

Rod McInnis

"Rich" wrote in message
news
Questions:
Are two strokes going to be better or worse for this application than four
strokes?

I would say worse, but if you run the gas out when you are done then it will
be negligable.
What you want to avoid is shutting down the motor and leaving gas in the
engine. On a four cycle, it would be just in the carburator, but a 2 cycle
will also leave some in the crankcase. After time the gas evaporates or
turns into bad stuff, which can lead to carburator problems and could gum up
the reed valves.

Will treating the fuel with gas treatment be enough? It is sometimes as
long as six months between uses.

If you get a four cycle, or a 2 cycle that has oil injection (and thus you
don't mix oil with the gas) then I would just plan on using the gas. If you
use portable tanks you could just empty the tank into your car for the drive
home.

Am I going to have to run it dry (the carb) and then spray some hard to

fing
"secret" stuff into it to leave it that long?

I would certainly run it dry so that the gas in the carburators didn't go
bad. I wouldn't bother trying to fog the engine, especially on a two cycle.
If you can do a fresh water flush of the cooling system it would help the
motor out, but I know of a lot of engines that get used entirely in salt
water, never get flushed and last for a good number of years (lots of day
sailors have small outboards clamped on the back.....)

Your situation is not that different than many people. I know a lot of
people that only use their boats once or twice a month during the summer,
and not at all during the winter. It is amazing how many boats sit in a
marina for months at a time with no one visiting them. How this effects the
engine will depend on how you look at it.

If your measure of engine life is in calendar years, then a rarely used
engine can last a long time. If your measure in in running hours, then a
rarely used engine is not going to last long at all. If you want the
maximum number of running hours then you start the engine and keep it
running until it won't run anymore.

Rod