Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Outboard maintenance for low use situations???

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:40:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

Admittedly, I have almost no experience with four stroke
outboards, but I have a ton of experience with small four stroke
engines on garden tractors and the like.

OK, Mr. Tons of Experience, solve THIS mystery. :-) My Aryens snow blower
starts instantly every single time (pull start). It's 5 years old. Doesn't
matter if it's receive proper off-season treatment or not. One pull.
Sometimes, there'll be a second or two of smoke, but after that, it's clean.
It's got a 4-cycle Tecumseh engine. What the hell IS it with those
engines???

Ariens used the industrial (HD) Tecumseh engine up until this year.
Cast iron sleeve, yada, yada, yada. Damn things are indestructible.
I have an 1128 that is three years old and starts first time, every
time.

I have a 1036 Ariens snowblower that is 15 years old and it starts
first pull, everytime. The 1036 has been well maintained, but still -
it's been used and abused over the years - it just won't stop running.

Now, the Ariens 1832 lawn tractor is only two years old and is the
worst lawn tractor I have ever bought - simply, a pile of crap. I'm
trading it this spring for a zero turn - not an Ariens you can bet on
that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928).