Bob P

Default OT - Too many Off Topic posts...

Gentlemen,

If you wish to debate endlessly, could you find a more appropriate
newsgroup? If your conversation consisted of 20 posts, it would be
within reason for an OT series, but these have gone on for more than
1000. Find yourselves a better home. Please.
rick

"Bob P" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

If you wish to debate endlessly, could you find a more
appropriate newsgroup? If your conversation consisted of 20
posts, it would be within reason for an OT series, but these
have gone on for more than 1000. Find yourselves a better
home. Please.

===============
It's just hard not to disuss other things when the ice hasn't
gone out yet and you can get your paddle wet.
Talking about paddling sometimes gets you down when you can't
even get your boat off the rack. Too anxious to get out, but
can't find the open water, so the "other" disussions are a
diversion. You could just laugh at us though, when we take
ourselves too seriously...

Franklin

Gentlemen,

If you wish to debate endlessly, could you find a more appropriate
newsgroup? If your conversation consisted of 20 posts, it would be
within reason for an OT series, but these have gone on for more than
1000. Find yourselves a better home. Please.

I'm not sure I agree; at least, my news reader shows almost all on-topic
subjects, with a sprinkling of off-topic ones (like the Iraq elections one).
And my solution is simple... I just don't read that particular thread
anymore.

John Fereira

"Grip" wrote in :

It's the same in all news groups I've visited. I read what I wish to read
and ignore the rest. Very simple

Sure, it's simple to delete posts that you're not going to read buy why
should we? This is a newsgroup about paddling. There are many other
newsgroups in which political discussion, and even flaming is on topic.
Those that want to read that kind of article can go to those groups. That's
the whole point of creating topically based groups. I've been reading this
group for about 7 years and this is the worse case of off-topic article
posting I've ever seen. I've been participating on usenet for 20 years and
the number of off-topic article to on topic articles is just about the
highest ratio I've seen as well. Those that continue to post the off topic
articles are just flat out rude.

"Bob P" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

If you wish to debate endlessly, could you find a more appropriate
newsgroup? If your conversation consisted of 20 posts, it would be
within reason for an OT series, but these have gone on for more than
1000. Find yourselves a better home. Please.

Tinkerntom

John Fereira wrote:
"Grip" wrote in

:

"Bob P" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

If you wish to debate endlessly, could you find a more appropriate
newsgroup? If your conversation consisted of 20 posts, it would

be
within reason for an OT series, but these have gone on for more

than
1000. Find yourselves a better home. Please.

I have been camping for 40 years, and sat around many campfires, where
many strange topics have been discussed. Sometimes they even talked
about the days fishing or hiking, biking or skiing. If the topic was
not of my interest, I could always grab another adult beverage, set
back, and contemplate the sparks rising over the campfire. Usually the
chatter would lull me into a luxurious state of semi-subconsciousness,
which convinced me that a hard day of exercise followed by the
campfire, is better than any day at WORK!

If the above did not occur, I could always retire to my tent and let
the darkness embrace me in slumber. I usually did not last long
listening from my tent.

If the OT chatter, disturbs your sleep, I apologize! I find this is
some of the best part of the day, and talking to fellow paddlers, even
OT, is very stimulating. So maybe, next time you should pitch your
tent a little further from the campfire IMHO! TnT

Galen Hekhuis

On 5 Mar 2005 16:29:48 -0800, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

[...]

But how does one determine whether the tent should be pitched farther away
or that the party around the campfire has just gotten too rowdy? What if
they start chanting religious stuff real loud and you can't get to sleep
even if you pitch your tent a hundred yards away?

Not to disagree with your analogy, just being an ass. Personally, I'd have
said that if you don't like what's going on, contribute(help change it) or
leave, but don't just whine about it.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help
bb

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:09:08 GMT, John Fereira
wrote:

Sure, it's simple to delete posts that you're not going to read buy why
should we?

You don't need to bother deleting them, just have the willpower not
to read them.

This is a newsgroup about paddling. There are many other
newsgroups in which political discussion, and even flaming is on topic.
Those that want to read that kind of article can go to those groups.

That all sounds just dandy, but it doesn't work in reality. I tried
going from the boating news group to the political group to talk
politics, and a boating topic broke out. I left my football group and
went the flame group to do some flaming and a football discussion
broke out. Even the dang political and flaming groups stray off
topic. Personally, I think it's all Bush's fault.

That's
the whole point of creating topically based groups.

Stop blaming others for your own lack of willpower. It fairly easy to
skip posts that aren't relevant.

I've been reading this
group for about 7 years and this is the worse case of off-topic article
posting I've ever seen. I've been participating on usenet for 20 years and
the number of off-topic article to on topic articles is just about the
highest ratio I've seen as well.

Get used to it because it's not going to go away. Society changes,
even use net society.

Those that continue to post the off topic
articles are just flat out rude.

Off topic is now the norm. You may consider it rude, but it is now
the norm.

bb
Tinkerntom

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
[...]

Well if it has just gotten too rowdy, we'll be more than willing to
tone it down, If you ask us real nice! Like I have been doing between
K&r, and they seem to be listening. A couple of the rest of us have
been having a discussion on the side, and I have not heard any yelling
or chanting so far!

I would point out that the OT posting in this group, and in the two
threads have been going on for quite awhile, so the post count has
gotten high, but it is mainly restricted to these two threads. I have
checked out other groups where every thread goes OT shortly after the
original post. I am happy to see that most threads here stay on topic.

Even the current thread regarding the accident in Florida, has slipped
off the original topic, but is certainly within the normal topics of
the group.

I have found that paddlers have a perspective of many issues that you
do not find in the other groups. It may have to do with setting too
close to the water, and having to keep your eyes on the current, the
wind, the weather, the shore, the goal, and having all the gear on
board, and knowing you will get along ok because you forgot something,
and still having a great time getting there.

Some have even said that we are all sick when there are so many other
ways to get there, and we say paddling is the only way to get there.
Now I don't have the foggiest idea why someone may suggest that is
sick, I just know I enjoy the campfire. TnT

KMAN

in article , Tinkerntom
at
wrote on 3/5/05 8:21 PM:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
[...]

Good grief, now I've actually contributed to giving Tinkerntom even more of
a god complex!

Tinkerntom, ferchrissakes, get over yourself. A nut preaching about god is
one thing, a nut who thinks he IS god is much worse!