Doug Kanter

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:34:51 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:05:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .

How you can group all Muslims is laughable not to mention ignorant.

Not all Muslims are terrorists. But the majority of the recent
terrorists that we're fighting now are Muslims. To deny the

influence
of that faith on their actions, is being ignorant.

Stumped by set theory in junior high school?

Huh?

Just as I thought. Go sit in the corner and drink your chocolate milk,
child.

That wasn't fair Doug. :)

For Dave, it's sometimes the only possible response.

Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Doug Kanter wrote:
.... But, my dad has a thing about
control, and the rest of the family has decided he needs to be ground

down a
bit with a very coarse rasp. Otherwise, there's no living with him.

Same here. In some cases, the "coarse rasp" can be making it obvious
that you will not interact in any way shape or form, until the behaviour
improves. It's hard to be a control freak when people ignore you.

DSK

I should elaborate. You'll love this.

Had to fly to Long Island Wednesday and return yesterday. I had a social
engagement at 6:30 PM last night, so in order to get home in time, I had to
take a 6:00 AM flight out of LI. That's 5:00 AM arrival at the airport, had
to leave the hotel by 4:15, which meant waking up a little after 3:00 AM.

Last week, I called the hotel to inquire as to the odds of finding a cab at
that hour. They said "We can usually get one". OK. Called my dad who said
"We haven't figured out who's gonna take you to the airport yet.....". Hung
up. Thought about it for the rest of the day. Realized that the social
engagement would include a spectacular dinner & drinks. Found I could rent a
car from Budget for $88 plus tax, which to me was the right price for the
dinner & drinks. An insurance policy of sorts, to eliminate all variables
from my ride to the airport, except for the rental car breaking down.

Called dad, told him I was renting a car on MY DIME. He went ballistic -
something like "Who the hell do you think you are making decisions like
that? I'm running a company here, and employees do NOT take it upon
themselves to make decisions like that!!!" My responses included:

1) It's not a problem. You just THINK it is, and THAT'S the problem. You
just need to get over it.

2) It's in the same category as which suitcase I choose to bring, and which
clothing. Do you have any preferences about these things?

3) You control people, which is insulting. I control situations by
manipulating time, objects and information. Nobody's insulted that way.

Anyway....he never got over it, but at least he dropped the subject of the
rental car.

Thursday afternoon, 5:00 PM, he tells me my sister and her family are coming
to the office at 6:15 and we're all going out to dinner, and that he'll be
in a meeting till 6:00. My work was done, so I said "OK...I'm going back to
the hotel to wash up & change into warmer clothes. I'll be back here by
6:10".

This was not in his plans, so again, he twisted himself into knots and said
"I expect you to wait here until then...." or some such crap. I asked why,
in case there was a valid business reason. He said "Because when the other
salespeople come in from around the country, that's what THEY do!" I calmly
explained that because I was the only one there, there was no sensible
reason for it. He just shook his head & went back to his meeting. Outside
the restaurant, he took me aside to explain what a horrible thing I'd done.
I suggested that if he needed to control everyone's actions, perhaps a dog
would be a good thing to have. Dinner was great, though paradoxical.
Usually, he gives perfectly good waiters & waitresses a hard time over
nothing. That night, the waitress was an incompetent slug. The manager came
over to take away appetizer plates. Dad says "That's a great waitress you've
got there". The manager says "Well, she's been in this industry for almost
10 years". Dad says "It certainly shows".

Life's weird.

John S

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:41:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

That is an interesting story. Sounds like your Dad is a pretty tough and
good man. I wish my kid's would have gone into engineering so they could
work for me. I guess I would probably be tougher on them than any of my
other employees just like your Dad is tough on you.

Bless you both.

Regards
John S

Kerry shot his goose in Ohio and had it cooked there too!
Doug Kanter

"John S" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:41:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Tough would mean insisting on better business practices. That's an issue
which is in no way related to this one.

Doug Kanter

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:37:19 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I've often wondered who is dumber - the horses or the people who own
them.

Gotta be careful here. Mrs. Eisboch reads this NG once in a while.

Horses are nice to rent at a nearby stable...for the half-day.

I had a mule once - great animal.

Later,

Tom

I work for one.

John Gaquin

"jps" wrote in message

Bush fared best among those who said moral values were the most
important issue, and among those who said terrorism two of the top
issues.

You guys can spin this any way you want if it makes you feel better. The
"moral values" term was put into the exit polls by someone, and the left is
now seizing on it to rationalize everything.

Paint it as a victory for religious zealots if you wish, but the facts and
the reality remain clear to those who observe and think. There is no
looming theocracy, no mandated church attendance, no crackdown of thought
police. These are the rantings of the whackos.

The plain truth is that the preponderance of the American People -- ordinary
folk who work, pay their taxes, and try to raise their kids into good,
responsible citizens -- have observed the direction in which their country
has been drifting through a variety of social issues, and stood up to say
"Enough"! Enough of having norms and mores dictated to us by the North-East
"intelligentsia", Academia, and Hollywood. Enough of abortion on demand as
a simple and convenient birth control device. Enough of the idea that my 13
year-old daughter ought to be able to procure a government funded abortion
without any communication at all with us, her parents. Enough of those who
would invoke expensive and generous government support programs for those
merely without the inclination or self-control to protect themselves.
Enough of those who would prohibit a simple Christian prayer at the start of
the school day and remove the words "under God" from the Pledge of
Allegiance in an overwhelmingly Christian nation, all under the guise of
constitutionally required "separation", but enforce involuntary in-school
"familiarization" with the religions of other. Enough of these so-called
recording "artists" who saturate our children with lyrics about f-ing their
bitches and killing cops, and are then put forth as the real American
character and as legitimate commentators on the national social environment.
Enough of this high-blown arrogance that would have us as ignorant country
bumpkins solely on the strength of our disagreement with your
pseudo-sophisticated notions that every sort of behavior is OK, that no one
should be held accountable for anything they do. We are good people, with
plain truths and solid values. There are more of us than there are of you,
and our numbers are growing. We will no longer be dictated to by
self-impressed cousins.

This is the message of 2004. The message that the Democrat Party is trying
desperately to mask and ignore, for in it, absent compelling change, lies
their demise.

Doug Kanter

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"jps" wrote in message

[...]

99.9% of what you've mentioned will never be dealt with by any president.
One will pay lip service to these things, but will do nothing. And
logically, if he *did* take the time to deal with these things, it would be
obvious to any thinking person that he was ignoring things that really cost
lives.

John S

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:39:25 -0500, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

"jps" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for putting into words what so many of us feel in our hearts.

Regards
John S

Kerry shot his goose in Ohio and had it cooked there too!
Charles

Why is it not surprising that you have problems with all kinds of
relationships in your life?

I'd say you were a problem child and that there is more uncomplimentary
family history concerning yourself which is not being told, and which
has not yet been resolved.

-- Charlie