swatcop

Default Police Marine Units

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
news:29LCb.383435$ao4.1278020@attbi_s51...
Hi!

This might parrot what others said, but in my opinon the more you can

hound
wreckless jet-ski's the better. hehe And then of course wreckless

boaters
in general.

OUI is important too, but use your head. A couple guys out in a rowboat

with
a 5hp Jonnyrude, fishing, with a 12 pack in the cooler ain't the real big
problem, it's the speedboats with intoxicated operators that think they're
Mario Andretti. LOL.

Equipment checks are a good way to "bust balls" of someone you stopped for
operation. But to stop people *just* to do equipment checks is annoying as
all hell. There's enough strange operatoin out there to keep you busy.

And lastly, don't "become" the problem. There are a lot of narrower places
that just by inserting your boat in the middle - you *create* a no wake
area - this really ****es off people pulling skiiers and tubes etc. They
have have to drop of plane or get ticketed by Marine Patroll *because* of
the damn Marine Patroll boat. So...in narrow areas stay near the edges
please.

And as a personal favor. grin Older couples often don't have an extra
person to "spot" for the skiier.Yes, I know the law (in most states)
requires a spotter, but it's often just me and my wife. So I put a

rearview
mirror on the boat and call the German shepard my spotter. A warning will

do
just fine - as we're at least *trying* to get it right with the mirror.
Sometimes you just can't find a spotter without kidnapping someone - a

worse
crime. Don't make me have to get a blow up doll.grin

-W

I'll be looking for the ski-boat with the blow up doll in the back - you got
me to laugh on that one!
Anyway, I agree with your points on jetskis and reckless operation, I plan
to hit them pretty hard. Thanks for the tip on the narrow areas, although I
would have thought that to be common sense. Maybe it's different in your
area. And as a question on the safety checks, other than the marinas in my
town, most people use a public boat ramp area. Would you be offended if the
cops did a safety inspection on your vessel while you were waiting in line
to launch at a boat ramp? It seems to me like it would save time that way.
Thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"Capt. Matt" wrote in message
First off, thanks for asking! And welcome to Florida waters!! What kind of
problems really depends on were you are, East coast is VERY different from
West as far as perceived problems. OUI is always a concern for me as a

tour
operator as well as inexperienced operators. I don't want to jump on the

PWC
bashing bandwagon, but lots of these folks have no idea what safe

operation
is, not all of them mind you. I have to tell you, a night patrol on

occasion
will do a lot to ease many minds. As far as wake violations, I'm all for
enforcement but some E.O.s from many fields have been over zealous and

would
likely written a citation for boats at anchor in a strong spring tide if
given the chance.

Welcome! I'm just glad you are here!Conscientious law enforcement on the
water is a good thing for all concerned even those that may be
inconvenienced.

Capt. Matt

Thank you for your input. Seems the jetskis are a common topic, and will be
dealt with more severely. As for the waterway, I'll be on the west coast in
the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you for the welcome and for the information, I
plan on making a POSITIVE change out there and not just becoming another
pain in the ass.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Doug Kanter

"Ed" wrote in message ...

Most also have no clue as to signalling rules for passing. I have hit
the horn before expecting a response and they just look at me funny...

I agree. Around here (upstate NY), it seems that 75% of boaters don't know
the rules for passing. Meanwhile, I learned that when I took power squadron
courses at age 13. Perhaps those courses should be required, and validated
by a tattoo on the student's arm, to avoid swapping credentials. :-)

Around here, we have a name for the yahoos: floating Camaros. If you got
into a shouting match with 50 of them and guessed their names and called
them Vito, you'd be right 45 times. It's a real problem. They're not like
the Italians I grew up with around NYC. They're caricatures.

swatcop

"Ed" wrote in message ...
I would make one additional suggestion....

Know the maritime law for the area you are in......

I have been boating in IL for 20 years and now in FL for 20 years and I
come across MANY officers who do not know the USCG rules of the road or
common marine etiquite. The biggest error I have seen is the difference
in NO WAKE IDLE SPEED and SLOW SPEED MINIMUM WAKE. I have a 48 ft
sport fish and during manatee season, the ICWW is SLOW SPEED MINIMUM
WAKE. A 48' Boat can go almost 2x the speed of a smaller boat and meet
the legal definition of SLOW SPEED. The way it was expained to me by
USCG officals was that a vessel can go as fast as they want, as long as
the boat does not "begin to go on a plane" Which means the bow does not
begin to rise.

Most also have no clue as to signalling rules for passing. I have hit
the horn before expecting a response and they just look at me funny...

Have fun and stay safe.

I agree that most people don't know anything about the USCG rules, which is
exactly why I attended the USCG "Basic Skills and Seamanship" course. It
covers all of the points that you made, and I certainly know a lot more
about boating than I did before taking the course. Thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Doug Kanter

"swatcop" wrote in message
m...

Would you be offended if the
cops did a safety inspection on your vessel while you were waiting in line
to launch at a boat ramp? It seems to me like it would save time that way.

That's a good idea. Include proper anchors in the list of necessary toys.
I've had the CG look over my yacht and check everything EXCEPT the anchor. I
can't tell you how many times I've had to hoist MY anchor to get out of the
way of some putz with an undersized anchor whose boat starts drifting and
threatening other anchored boats because the guy's motor won't start fast
enough.

Fishing is my church. Nobody disturbs my worship with my whining about it.
:-)

swatcop

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message ...

Most also have no clue as to signalling rules for passing. I have hit
the horn before expecting a response and they just look at me funny...

I agree. Around here (upstate NY), it seems that 75% of boaters don't know
the rules for passing. Meanwhile, I learned that when I took power

squadron
courses at age 13. Perhaps those courses should be required, and validated
by a tattoo on the student's arm, to avoid swapping credentials. :-)

Around here, we have a name for the yahoos: floating Camaros. If you got
into a shouting match with 50 of them and guessed their names and called
them Vito, you'd be right 45 times. It's a real problem. They're not like
the Italians I grew up with around NYC. They're caricatures.

"Floating Camaros?" I love it! The go fasts should have the word "IROC" on
the sides. Thanks for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"swatcop" wrote in message
m...

Would you be offended if the
cops did a safety inspection on your vessel while you were waiting in

line
to launch at a boat ramp? It seems to me like it would save time that

way.

That's a good idea. Include proper anchors in the list of necessary toys.
I've had the CG look over my yacht and check everything EXCEPT the anchor.

can't tell you how many times I've had to hoist MY anchor to get out of

the
way of some putz with an undersized anchor whose boat starts drifting and
threatening other anchored boats because the guy's motor won't start fast
enough.

Fishing is my church. Nobody disturbs my worship with my whining about it.
:-)

Alrighty then. I'm actually writing down everything that I get out of my
inquiry, so thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Clams Canino

"swatcop" wrote in message news:INMCb.12534

Thanks for the tip on the narrow areas, although I
would have thought that to be common sense. Maybe it's different in your
area.

It's different here. We have a patch of river 8 miles long and 200 - 300
feet wide. And often the Marine Patroll doods troll right up the middle,
particularly the newer younger guys. I mean, it is "instinct" to drive up
the middle, but if you see a skiier coming it's *nice* to pull aside, as
opposed to watching to see if he'll slow down for you.

And as a question on the safety checks, other than the marinas in my
town, most people use a public boat ramp area. Would you be offended if

the
cops did a safety inspection on your vessel while you were waiting in line
to launch at a boat ramp? It seems to me like it would save time that way.

*I* wouldn't be offended at the ramp, no. I tend to be be a comedian about
it and show him the life-preservers, throwables, ski-vests, fire
extinguisher, flares, whistle, horn, anchor, sunscreen, sunglasses, TCW-3,
12 soda, 6 beer, 1 energy drink, 1 milk, 1 orange juice, 1 orange, 2 apple
pies, 1 canned ravioli, 1 Spaghetti-O's Etc etc...

(yanno - we might think it's funny - until the day the Marine Patroll finds
a subject in hypoglycemic shock and comes screaming after my boat to get my
goodies - *then* he'll be glad I showed him the Hostess Apple Pies!)

But anyway, a lot of people tend to view a "safety check" like an "MV
stop" - they wanna know what they did to draw your attention in the first
place. shrug

Speaking of the ramp, I don't know how enforcable it is (perhaps via
loitering laws hehe) but some of the idiots that tie up / slow down the
ramps need a ticket for *something* LOL.

-W

PS: Look at bright side - it's *got* to be a lot more fun than S.W.A.T. work
is!!
Just still be carefull out there. Binoculars are your friend. If you run
into drug runners on a boat, it's way too easy to just shoot the cop and
sink the evidence. Remember *they* already know what's up as your
approaching them.

Clams Canino

MOST importantly. Come back HERE often to post the best "idiot" stories.
!!!

I'll give you the best one I ever heard:

A friend of mine is a State Trooper. One night he was gassing up his
vehicle at one of the little "Statie stops" they have here for the Troopers
to gas up at. So while he's filling his (unmarked) car, the subject pulls
up to the pumps, drunk as a skunk, and when the Officer comes over to the
subjects window to see what he possibly could want - he slurrs: "Fill her
up please".

A moment of silence follows while the officer looks at the subject ,
meanwhile the subject is looking the officer up and down, and becomes dimly
aware of the real situation.

Subject rolls down his window - stucks out both hands - and says "OK you got
me - that was pretty clever"

Poor cop said he had a hard time stopping laughing long enough to ask the
guy for his liscence and reg so he could start the OUI arrest.. LOL.

"So how'd you get this one?"

"He just kinda drove up and surrendered."

-W

"swatcop" wrote in message news:a1NCb.12546

Alrighty then. I'm actually writing down everything that I get out of my
inquiry, so thank you for your input.

Charles

Harry Krause wrote:

More DUI enforcement, more anti-noise enforcement, more "reckless
boater" enforcement. Most folks I know who enjoy the water don't want to
be annoyed or put at risk by idiots who do not behave decently.

Don't take anything krause has to say too seriously or you'll be
embarassed sooner or later to have believed him.

He's the resident rec.boats vicarious boater.

-- Charlie

Marine stereos m Ransley General 14 December 9th 03 02:56 PM
Coastie Tales Capt. Frank Hopkins General 3 November 14th 03 02:34 PM
marine trader light bulb wanted. Florida Keyz General 2 October 25th 03 04:37 AM
Marine Insurance for older boats Greg Boyles General 7 October 18th 03 10:07 PM
Marine Goop glue = how to remove? Paul Dougherty General 3 July 28th 03 08:03 PM