Greg Boyles

Default Marine Insurance for older boats

Hi there, I posted a request before about marine insurance but I didn't get
much of a response. I am purchasing an 1985 custom fiberglass boat. Its 32
ft long. I am not having a survey done as I know the engines need
replacement as it is. However here in lays the problem. Is there an
insurance company that will insure a boat that's slipped. It should pass a
survey just fine when I get the engines redone. But the marina requires it
to be insured to transfer the slip space over to me. It is currently insured
with the currant owner but the company has changed his policy as to a
survey. Does anyone know of a marine insurance company that will take
policies without a survey?

--
Visit The Arm Chair Sailor
http://www.fullcircle.net

Gould 0738

You might get a high risk, Lloyd's of London policy on the hull, (less the
value of the engines), and that could be supported by survey. Just because the
boat doesn't have operable engines shouldn't mean that it is without value.

I'll bet the insurance coverage the marina is looking for has more to do with
liability than with replacing your hull anyway. What happens if your boat
spills fuel? Catches fire and burns a few other boats or part of the facility?

Wayne.B

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:26:25 GMT, "Greg Boyles"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a marine insurance company that will take
policies without a survey?

==================================
For a boat that size and age, I'd say the chances were between slim
and none. You should get a survey in any case for your own peace of
mind, and possibly a negotiating point or two. In my experience, most
surveys pay for themselves and then some.

Steve

From my experience, the marina would want you to have Liability insurance
and you should be able to get JUST liability to satisfy that requirement.

Sometime marine insurance broker/underwriters want to sell you the whole
package and this is where they want a survey..

I doubt that you could get a full coverage policy without a survey.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Marc Auslander

I think the point of the survey is to limit the loss liability to the
value of the boat. Your yard is concerned with your liability
coverage if you cause trouble to someone else, I think.

In any case, try Boat US if you haven't. And ask, don't assume, that
a bad survey will prevent insurance. Also, find out what the yard
requires.

Wildest Dream

I've got Boat US on a 26' and they didn't ask for a survey either, just what
I wanted to insure it for, make sure u insure it for wind and freezing
damage they don't ask u till u get the renewal if u want it , it is a
nominal fee of about $25 & $40, I forgot which is which, I got towing w/them
too, thank God I never had to use it, Can u say God in a news group?lol

wrote:

Hi there, I posted a request before about marine insurance but I didn't

get
much of a response. I am purchasing an 1985 custom fiberglass boat. Its

32
ft long. I am not having a survey done as I know the engines need
replacement as it is. However here in lays the problem. Is there an
insurance company that will insure a boat that's slipped. It should pass

survey just fine when I get the engines redone. But the marina requires

it
to be insured to transfer the slip space over to me. It is currently

insured
with the currant owner but the company has changed his policy as to a
survey. Does anyone know of a marine insurance company that will take
policies without a survey?

Ps

I found it *really* odd that the insurance was $130.00 less than the
boat I still had insurance on and valued the same.

I didn't argue the point.

Ron Thornton

The general terms of my boat US policy excludes freezing damage.

Ron

Greg Boyles

Thank you all for your responses. Ill be calling US boat Mon Morning. I
really appreciate it..

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:24:19 GMT, "Wildest Dream"
wrote:

I've got Boat US on a 26' and they didn't ask for a survey either, just

what
I wanted to insure it for, make sure u insure it for wind and freezing
damage they don't ask u till u get the renewal if u want it , it is a
nominal fee of about $25 & $40, I forgot which is which, I got towing

w/them
too, thank God I never had to use it, Can u say God in a news group?lol

I hadn't heard about wind and freezing damage, that sure would be handy
just in case.

Marathon Marine Boats, Mercury Sportjet any opinions? Honest Steve General 2 December 28th 03 06:18 PM
Boat insurance questions NOYB General 14 October 15th 03 04:41 AM
Sea Ray Boats, Mid-Atlantic Dealers Announce Post-Hurricane Recovery Initiatives bomar General 0 October 2nd 03 10:15 PM
Is sailing becoming extinct? Don White General 14 August 12th 03 12:38 AM
Marina fire destroys 25 boats near Orlando -v- General 1 July 27th 03 09:43 PM