Clams Canino

Default Spotter shortage?

Why? So they can't breed?

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Clams Canino wrote:
Meet my new ski spotter??

http://realdoll.com/

-W

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
news:29LCb.383435

Sometimes you just can't find a spotter without kidnapping someone - a

worse
crime. Don't make me have to get a blow up doll.grin

-W

Finally...a woman perfect for our right-wingers.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Harry Krause

Sometimes you just can't find a spotter without kidnapping someone - a
worse
crime. Don't make me have to get a blow up doll.grin

-W

Finally...a woman perfect for our right-wingers.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Naw. They don't like real women or real sex.

--
Email sent to
is never read.
swatcop

Default Police Marine Units

"Snafu" wrote in message
nk.net...
You can go by the book enforcing any laws at your disposal related to the
operation of jet skis...

I agree on that subject - not to worry. Thanks.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"Greg" wrote in message
From my experience, where the cops are NOT is patrolling almost anywhere

after
dark. I bet more constituants care about after dark piracy along the water
front than all the traffic tickets you can write.
Getting rocked by a wake or hearing a loud boat is a minor irritation

compared
to waking up and finding your engine gone.
Other than that I imagine a boat cop is juat like being in the roller. You
spend most of your shift clearing radio calls.

Ah-ha! Someone who agrees with me! I usually work the road after dark, and
my biggest pet-peeve is business checks and residential checks. I take it
personally if my sector has a burglary when I'm working because I'm very
thorough. The crime rate in my sector dropped 10% last year, which I'm very
proud of and attribute to high visibility patrol after dark. I plan on doing
the same thing with the Marine Unit by patrolling the channels and such.
Thanks.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
I'll echo Harry's points above -- DUI, noise, and careless & reckless. If
your jurisdiction couples careless with reckless, you can probably squeeze
even more of the yahoos than with reckless alone. Depending on what part

of
FL, your department probably has some pretty well thought out patrol and
enforcement objectives, but those three would probably yield the greatest
aggregate benefit to the boating community and the public at large.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for doing your job.

JG

Actually, there are no current enforcement objectives (thus the change in
administration). I've spoken with some of the surrounding agency's marine
officers and have gotten some pretty good ideas, but I want to know what the
PUBLIC wants done. Thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
swatcop wrote:

Looking for a little bit of direction here. I've been recently assigned

my department's Marine Unit. I've been a cop for 15 years. I lived in NJ

at
the shore around boats most of my life, but never owned one. I rarely

even
went out on boats except for fishing or waterskiing. I moved to Florida

in
late 2000, and I'm still working as a cop (just in a nicer place). As a
result of some administrative changes in my department, I was assigned

the Marine Unit. I've completed the necessary training and such, but one
thing is lacking: experience. I'll try to get to the point - I'm open

for
comments and opinions. I know what the law says, and I know what my job

is,
but I try to use more common sense than what the law may actually say in
black & white. What do you (as boaters) feel the most important issues

are
for the Police to deal with on the water? Would you like to see more

O.U.I.
enforcement? More vessel stops for no wake zone infractions? More safety
inspections? More after dark patrols of inlets, channels, and harbor

areas?
You tell me. I'm asking for your honest opinions here. As a rule I use

more
common sense than anything on the job. I treat people fairly, and as a
result I rarely ever have to appear in court. I would like to do the

same on
the water. Here's your chance to make a difference, because I will take
every opinion into consideration. Thanks for your help.

More DUI enforcement, more anti-noise enforcement, more "reckless
boater" enforcement. Most folks I know who enjoy the water don't want to
be annoyed or put at risk by idiots who do not behave decently.

Good luck and be very careful. Most of the boaters you encounter will
treat you decently and with respect, but a couple years ago out in the
Chesapeake Bay, some unknowns assaulted a woman DNR watercop and it was
damned serious. I seemed to recall the assailants were druggies, and
they either beat or shot the officer.

I'm not sure, but I think I knew the watercop in question. She had
frequently checked out boats in our area for proper registration and
fishing licenses, and was very pleasant about it, so much so that one of
my fishing buddies tried to ask her out on a date (she was very pretty).
I've not seen the woman since I heard about the incident. This was, oh,
probably three years ago.

Thank you for your input, I'll take all of your points into consideration.
As a rule, I'm a very "officer safety" oriented cop as I'm on the S.W.A.T.
team and other similar functions already, but I certainly appreciate the
concern. Thank you.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Rick

Clams Canino wrote:

This might parrot what others said, but in my opinon the more you can hound
wreckless jet-ski's the better. hehe And then of course wreckless boaters
in general.

I think the "wreckless" ones should be left alone and go after those
with many wrecks to their credit.

Rick

swatcop

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"swatcop" wrote in message
Here's your chance to make a difference, because I will take
every opinion into consideration. Thanks for your help.

Here in Rochester NY, there's a busy area where the sherrifs behave like
giant mosquitoes, pestering anyone who looks wrong. I think it's a great
idea, even though they've bugged me frequently to check my fishing

license.
I have to imagine they nail people for more serious stuff. So, I'd say "Be
the biggest pain in the ass you can".

My pet peeve involves something that happens constantly when I'm fishing.
The bay here is about a mile wide, and from side to side, it's deep enough
for any boat. There's one spot where small fishing boats have been
congregating for years because that's where the perch hang out. The spot's
about an acre in size. Without fail, there's at least one moron per hour

who
feels the need to crank past the fishermen at top speed, throwing 3-5 ft
wakes.

I don't know the official legal name of the law covering wakes, but when

my
son's in the boat, I call it "attempted murder". One of these days,
someone's gonna get a bullet in their fuel tank.

Do something about that, wherever you work.

I'm not sure of the actual name of the statute (as I said I'm new at this
aspect of policing), but I know it exists. Part of my training was with the
Coast Guard, and I remember the instructor really driving his point home
about boaters being responsible for their wake. One of his examples was a
woman drinking coffee on her husband's boat. Some schmuck flew past them and
she spilled her coffee on her lap resulting in burns. The operator of the
other boat was heavily fined and also came under civil suit. I will
definitely keep an eye on the wakes of vessels. Thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

swatcop

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:43:47 GMT, "swatcop"
wrote:

Looking for a little bit of direction here. I've been recently assigned

my department's Marine Unit. I've been a cop for 15 years. I lived in NJ

at
the shore around boats most of my life, but never owned one. I rarely

even
went out on boats except for fishing or waterskiing. I moved to Florida

in
late 2000, and I'm still working as a cop (just in a nicer place). As a
result of some administrative changes in my department, I was assigned to
[...]

Enforcement Needed:
Inconsiderate and dangerous operation.... wakes, skiing in areas that
just aren't safe, and the like. Drug interdiction. Violation of
"green" laws.

Enforcement Not Needed:
Don't stop boaters unless you explain the WHY. In some areas,
enforcement amounts to harassment. Stopping nearly everybody on the
water isn't the best use of police resources (which are usually thin
enough) and doesn't go a long way toward community opinion,
especially, if a stop is just "a stop."

Remember:
A citation is not always the best answer. Hopefully you are looking
for a favorable change in public behavior and are not acting
principally as a profit center for the municipality.

In short? Don't proudly and visibly stomp on the ants while letting
the elephants run wild.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Duly noted. Just F.Y.I., I plan on using the same discretion that use with
road patrol. I figured out my traffic stop vs. citations ratio on another
newsgroup about a month ago. It seems that I only write citations to 28% of
the people that I stop. I plan on doing the same on the water, and I agree
that citations are most definitely not always the answer. I am indeed
looking for a favorable public opinion, which is the main reason that I
posted this message. I want to know what the PUBLIC wants. I already know
what the administration wants, but the administration isn't going to be out
on the water - I am.
As far as your ants vs. elephants theory, well, there's no challenge in
hunting ants and I like a challenge.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Ed

I would make one additional suggestion....

Know the maritime law for the area you are in......

I have been boating in IL for 20 years and now in FL for 20 years and I
come across MANY officers who do not know the USCG rules of the road or
common marine etiquite. The biggest error I have seen is the difference
in NO WAKE IDLE SPEED and SLOW SPEED MINIMUM WAKE. I have a 48 ft
sport fish and during manatee season, the ICWW is SLOW SPEED MINIMUM
WAKE. A 48' Boat can go almost 2x the speed of a smaller boat and meet
the legal definition of SLOW SPEED. The way it was expained to me by
USCG officals was that a vessel can go as fast as they want, as long as
the boat does not "begin to go on a plane" Which means the bow does not
begin to rise.

Most also have no clue as to signalling rules for passing. I have hit
the horn before expecting a response and they just look at me funny...

Have fun and stay safe.

Looking for a little bit of direction here. I've been recently assigned to

Marine stereos m Ransley General 14 December 9th 03 02:56 PM
Coastie Tales Capt. Frank Hopkins General 3 November 14th 03 02:34 PM
marine trader light bulb wanted. Florida Keyz General 2 October 25th 03 04:37 AM
Marine Insurance for older boats Greg Boyles General 7 October 18th 03 10:07 PM
Marine Goop glue = how to remove? Paul Dougherty General 3 July 28th 03 08:03 PM