m Ransley

Default Marine stereos

Are marine CD stereos , car stereos in water resistant enclosures with
water resistant controls. Or are the boards sealed and controls more
salt resistant.
Are marine stereo speakers high quality car speakers with rubber
surounds and plastic cones, or are they different and how

m Ransley

No takers

bomar

Marine AM-FM- CD players and their ilk generally have the circuit boards
sealed with some sort of moisture resistant coating. Just what and how well
varies wildly.
Some of my cohorts swear plain old automotive units last just as long as
the marine units. I myself have 2 of the Jensen units and have not had any
trouble with them, the one in the big boat is mounted in a splash cover.
Marine speakers do not use paper cones, but a lot of non marine speakers
also don't use paper.
Most marine radios/speakers are white to better match the gelcoat.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
No takers

Joe Blizzard

"Doug Kanter" wrote
What do the manufacturers say in
their brochures or on their web sites?

Most of them speak quite highly of themselves.

The marine stereos I've seen at the local stores don't look particularly
special to me, other than the color and price. Auto stereos have to be built
fairly robustly if they're expected to last any length of time in a car.
There will no doubt be more moisture in a boat installation, but a car isn't
exactly a controlled environment either. I put an inexpensive Blaupunkt auto
AM/FM/CD unit in my boat last year to replace the 25 year-old cheap
AM/FM/casette auto unit that had failed mechanically. (It was mounted with
no rear support and broke at the front support points.) Check back with me
in 25 years or so and I'll let you know how the new one worked out.

Doug Kanter

Here's a thought: Install the type which can be yanked out of the dashboard.
Store in sealed plastic box with a handful of those oven-rechargeable silica
gel packs that you can buy in gun shops. The ones I've seen in boat stores
so far haven't been rechargeable.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote
[...]

Rod McInnis

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Are marine CD stereos , car stereos in water resistant enclosures with
water resistant controls. Or are the boards sealed and controls more
salt resistant.

The Clarion marine stereo I have has what I would conisder "water proof"
controls and a water resistant door over the CD player slot. I am sure that
if the unit got dunked water would flood the CD player and probably ruin it.
With the door closed it handles splashes and washing okay.

Are marine stereo speakers high quality car speakers with rubber
surounds and plastic cones, or are they different and how

Speakers, in general, are made of a variety of materials. Some speakers are
made of materials that absorb moisture from the air and self destruct after
a while even in a dessert! Other speakers use synthetic materials that are
impervious to water. There are also issues about sealing the voice coil so
that the magnetics don't get all corroded.

Compare any two speakers and you will be comparing different materials.
Even a given manufacturer will have different models that are made of
different materials. You can argue forever about which material is best, or
which speaker sounds better.

If you are going to put it in a boat, I highly recommend using a speaker
that is made of water resistant materials. There are lots to choose from,
so buy based on your budget and desired sound quality.

Rod McInnis

m Ransley

Mc Innis, so true .

m Ransley

Clarion head units look good for longevity, but there are alot of
cheap units offered

m Ransley

Clarion seems to be the best for fairly priced stereos. Any
dissagree, or can add to this.