Rod McInnis

Default Marine stereos

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Are marine CD stereos , car stereos in water resistant enclosures with
water resistant controls. Or are the boards sealed and controls more
salt resistant.

The Clarion marine stereo I have has what I would conisder "water proof"
controls and a water resistant door over the CD player slot. I am sure that
if the unit got dunked water would flood the CD player and probably ruin it.
With the door closed it handles splashes and washing okay.

Are marine stereo speakers high quality car speakers with rubber
surounds and plastic cones, or are they different and how

Speakers, in general, are made of a variety of materials. Some speakers are
made of materials that absorb moisture from the air and self destruct after
a while even in a dessert! Other speakers use synthetic materials that are
impervious to water. There are also issues about sealing the voice coil so
that the magnetics don't get all corroded.

Compare any two speakers and you will be comparing different materials.
Even a given manufacturer will have different models that are made of
different materials. You can argue forever about which material is best, or
which speaker sounds better.

If you are going to put it in a boat, I highly recommend using a speaker
that is made of water resistant materials. There are lots to choose from,
so buy based on your budget and desired sound quality.

Rod McInnis