Frazier Phillips

Default Siphon The Fuel Tank

I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.
I have just looked at the top side of the tank. Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a good
place to siphon the gas?
I assume there is a screen on the gas input line.
I have stabilizer in the fuel, however, this fuel is 12 months old. I am not
going to chance another 6 months.
Next year I plan to use the boat. It hell getting old, you know.

Gary Warner

What it preventing you from siphoning from the fill cap?

Lawrence James

Not unusual, the fill line often has too many turns to get a line down. I
pulled the overflow hose on mine last winter when I used all the gas in my
boat for my generator. The NC ice storm left us without power for 5 days.
If you can go out the drain plug hole it will be easier than trying to go
over the side. Getting rid of it is the bigger hassle unless it is still
good enough to add to your car.

"Frazier Phillips" wrote in message
I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.
I have just looked at the top side of the tank. Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a

good
place to siphon the gas?
I assume there is a screen on the gas input line.
I have stabilizer in the fuel, however, this fuel is 12 months old. I am

not
going to chance another 6 months.
Next year I plan to use the boat. It hell getting old, you know.

Greg

When I was rebuilding my boat I wanted to drain the tank. All I did was connect
a hose to the fuel filter "out" and drop it over the side into a gas can on the
driveway. A quick pump on the ball to get it started and it siphoned the tank
down to where the pickup stopped drawing. It went fairly slow but that just
meant I didn't mean to swap out cans as quick. Just keep an eye on them.
You will need a long piece of hose ... but you all carry one on the boat ...
right??
I have enough coiled up in my tool box to get from the tank filler to the
engine with some left over and a new ball, just in case something happens to
the normal fuel system. The only thing worse than running out of fuel is to
have a tank full and not be able to get it to the engine.
basskisser

"Frazier Phillips" wrote in message news:L3Rsb.396$zx.342@lakeread03...
I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.
I have just looked at the top side of the tank. Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a good
place to siphon the gas?
I assume there is a screen on the gas input line.
I have stabilizer in the fuel, however, this fuel is 12 months old. I am not
going to chance another 6 months.
Next year I plan to use the boat. It hell getting old, you know.

I don't think the overflow line will go to the bottom of the tank. I'd
use the fuel pick up line, take it off at a connection, and use it as
a siphon hose

Rod McInnis

"Frazier Phillips" wrote in message
I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.

I assume because you couldn't get the hose down the filler tube?
Try a smaller diameter hose.

Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a

good
place to siphon the gas?

The vent line connects to the top of the tank. Sucking on this line will
only draw vapor, no liquid.

There are several possibilities.

1) There should be access to the gas guage sending unit. You could remove
the sending unit and then drop your siphon hose down the sending unit hole.

2) You can drain/pump it out the feed line that runs to the engine. You
should be able to get to the fuel filter, which should be in line with the
hose between the tank and the engine. Disconnect the hose from the fuel
filter, add an extension. You may not be able to get a siphon to work on
this fitting: marine fuel systems seem to have some sort of a check valve
at the tank that I don't totally understand, but I think they require a
certain amount of suction. In this case, you could purchase an electric
fuel pump and pump the gas out of the tank.

3) go fishing! Use the gas up!

Rod McInnis

basskisser

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message
3) go fishing! Use the gas up!

Rod McInnis

There you go!! That would be my idea....funny, never seems to be very
much gas left in MY tanks!
Calif Bill

The overflow line (actually the vent line) is above the fuel. If you can
not get fuel out via the filler, buy a cheap electric fuel pump and pump it
out the carb feed line.

"Frazier Phillips" wrote in message
I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.
I have just looked at the top side of the tank. Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a

good
place to siphon the gas?
I assume there is a screen on the gas input line.
I have stabilizer in the fuel, however, this fuel is 12 months old. I am

not
going to chance another 6 months.
Next year I plan to use the boat. It hell getting old, you know.

Paul Schilter

Bill,
Isn't the fact you're pumping gasoline an issue in what kind of pump you
use? Could a cheap pump be a safety problem?
Paul

link.net...