Rod McInnis

Default Siphon The Fuel Tank

"Frazier Phillips" wrote in message
news:L3Rsb.396$zx.342@lakeread03...
I have a 1988 Bayliner 1950, 5.0 L, 32 gallon tank. I have tried to siphon
from the fill cap. This does not work.

I assume because you couldn't get the hose down the filler tube?
Try a smaller diameter hose.

Of the possibilities, the
only one option that I would consider is the over flow line. Is this a

good
place to siphon the gas?

The vent line connects to the top of the tank. Sucking on this line will
only draw vapor, no liquid.

There are several possibilities.

1) There should be access to the gas guage sending unit. You could remove
the sending unit and then drop your siphon hose down the sending unit hole.

2) You can drain/pump it out the feed line that runs to the engine. You
should be able to get to the fuel filter, which should be in line with the
hose between the tank and the engine. Disconnect the hose from the fuel
filter, add an extension. You may not be able to get a siphon to work on
this fitting: marine fuel systems seem to have some sort of a check valve
at the tank that I don't totally understand, but I think they require a
certain amount of suction. In this case, you could purchase an electric
fuel pump and pump the gas out of the tank.

3) go fishing! Use the gas up!

Rod McInnis