Default Looks like Jose isn't very happy now,,,

On 9/19/17 3:06 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/18/2017 1:56 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 11:50:01 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us/hur...ast/index.html

Kinda seems like the east coast could be threatened...

CNN?

Fake news.Â*Â* Gonna be sunny and warm.Â* Beach weather.Â* :-)

I think by the time it gets to us it will be just a strong
nor'easter.
Rather have it now than in February.

I hope the models are better for you than they were for us. 3 days
out, Irma was a Miami storm. It came in over Marco, 100+ miles west.
I have been off the air so I have not been looking at the plots and
the news is pretty superficial if it is not coming here. They just
tell us "relax".

Good to hear you survived and didn't have too much damage.Â* Living
without power for over a week is a bitch though and those contractor
type generators definitely burn a lot of gas.Â* I had a 12.5Kw set up
during Wilma but quickly realized my supply of gas (5 or 6, 5 gal
jugs) wasn't going to last long if I ran it all the time.Â* I used the
little Honda most of the time, just for the refer, a couple of lights
and the Direct TV box and TV.

We are currently in a Tropical Storm Watch for Jose.Â* It appears it
will track well south of us but will expand, spreading some rain and
wind tomorrow and Wednesday.Â* No big deal around here.Â* I am watching
the other one, "Maria".Â* Still way to early to predict but the Euro
model has it tracking right up the coast and hitting Cape Cod.

I did the same.Â* The 2Kw handled the refrigerator, freezer, and a small
window AC unit I keep on hand.Â* The 6.5Kw sucked gas at 3X the rate
with
little benefit.

Yeah, I ran one refrigerator, a couple of lights, the Direct TV receiver
and large flat panel TV.Â* I put it on the "idle" mode and it would run
from 9pm until about 7am on one tank of gas (a little over a gallon).
I'd fill it up in the morning and it ran all day until evening on one
tank.Â* If I wanted coffee or something, I'd unplug the refer
temporarily, make a pot of coffee, then switch back to the refer.Â* The
only time the little Honda would automatically rev up for a couple of
seconds was when the compressor in the refer turned on or the coffee
maker was heating.Â* After that it went back to idle mode.

My problem is pumps The pool is 1hp, the well is 3/4 hp and the house
pump is 3/4hp. I can determine when the pool starts but the well is at
the mercy of the pressure switches. I know all 3 plus 2 reefers in
locked rotor will trip the genny every time.
I know if something like this ever happens again I want better load
management. To start with I have to separate the fridges. They are on
the same phase now. That is just moving the breaker.
We seemed to have enough switch discipline that I had no problem
leaving all of the general lighting breakers on. Walking around
turning on lights was just like normal, just do what your momma told
you and turn the light off if you are not using it.

Other than the compressor surge when it starts a refer doesn't draw much
current once the compressor is running.Â* Even a large refrigerator draws
less than two amps, once the compressor starts.Â* I ran two of them on
the little Honda a couple of years ago, along with a couple of lights
and a TV.Â* It would rev up over idle when either of the refrigerator
compressors started but then drop back.Â* Never tripped the breaker on
the Honda.Â* The e2000 is capable of about 16 amps max but it will
generate up to 6 amps running on the "eco mode" (idle).

In Florida the well pump was a problem.Â* First, it was 220v, so trying
to run it off the little Honda was not possible (it only produces 120v).
During the week without power after Wilma, I'd fire up the 12.5kw
generator for about an hour in the morning to heat the water in the hot
water tank and run the well pump so I could take a shower.Â* I'd then
shut it off and use the little Honda as described before.Â* That 12.5
generator burned almost a gallon an hour under load as I recall, the
local gas stations had no power, so I had to conserve the gas I had.

The larger propane generators work fine as backups, but unless you go
hog wild ($$$) with sizing, you still can't run everything in a modern
medium to large house. We have a 17KW unit, and we can run at the same
time the well pump, a 5-1/2 ton heat pump compressor on AC (it produces
heat off of propane if there is a power outage), a sewage ejector pump
that serves the basement, a hot water heater, refrigerator, dishwasher,
microwave, disposal and lights in the lowest level, some outlet circuits
in that level, the refrigerator on the main level, the washing machine
on the main level but not the electric dryer, the garage door opener, a
microwave, and lights and outlets on the main and upper levels. The heat
pump that serves the third level is not included, but that level stays
warm in the winter because of heat rising from the level under it, the
main floor of the house. If it gets too hot in the summer, there are
plenty of places to hang out and sleep on the levels that get AC from
the heat pump operating off the generator. The gas cooktop has electric
igniters, but it isn't on the generator because we can light it with a
match. The electric ovens aren't on generators, either. I think but I
don't recall if the electric igniters for the gas fireplaces are on
circuits that can be powered by the generator.

I think I mentioned this, but our propane supplier works to fill the
tanks of its customers starting a week ahead of time if a big storm is
brewing. We've never come close to running the tank dry.

The generator burns 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 "gallons" of propane an hour,
depending on the load. We do keep the load as low as possible, though,
when the generator runs.

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a nice setup but I could never justify a "whole house"
generator up here in the north because the number of times we've been
without power for more than an hour or so in the past 17 years was once,
after a heavy snowstorm and that outage only lasted for 3 days. Power
was restored the afternoon of the third day. In 17 years I'd burn more
fuel ... propane, diesel or gas ... during the weekly 10 minute exercise
runs than what I'd burn due to a power outage. It's a little
inconvenient but the little Honda has served us well over the years ..
in fact I only had to use it once after that snowstorm to power anything
in the house. By the third day it was starting to get a bit chilly in
the house, so I wired the Honda to the oil burner circuit for a while to
heat the house. Later that day commercial power was restored.

I've mentioned this before but we considered installing a whole house
generator when we had the backyard torn up during the pool installation
and ran the underground power lines for a generator in case we ever
wanted one. I ended up rewiring those lines for use as a 240v, 50 amp
RV outlet for use by traveling gypsies.

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

"traveling gypsies"...???
I can just imagine your Florida buddy showing up like that Cousin Eddy in the Chevy Chase movie and dumping his holding tanks down your storm drains.

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us/hur...ast/index.html

Kinda seems like the east coast could be threatened...

CNN?

Fake news. Gonna be sunny and warm. Beach weather. :-)

I think by the time it gets to us it will be just a strong
nor'easter.
Rather have it now than in February.

I hope the models are better for you than they were for us. 3 days
out, Irma was a Miami storm. It came in over Marco, 100+ miles west.
I have been off the air so I have not been looking at the plots and
the news is pretty superficial if it is not coming here. They just
tell us "relax".

Good to hear you survived and didn't have too much damage. Living
without power for over a week is a bitch though and those contractor
type generators definitely burn a lot of gas. I had a 12.5Kw set up
during Wilma but quickly realized my supply of gas (5 or 6, 5 gal
jugs) wasn't going to last long if I ran it all the time. I used the
little Honda most of the time, just for the refer, a couple of lights
and the Direct TV box and TV.

We are currently in a Tropical Storm Watch for Jose. It appears it
will track well south of us but will expand, spreading some rain and
wind tomorrow and Wednesday. No big deal around here. I am watching
the other one, "Maria". Still way to early to predict but the Euro
model has it tracking right up the coast and hitting Cape Cod.

I did the same. The 2Kw handled the refrigerator, freezer, and a
small
window AC unit I keep on hand. The 6.5Kw sucked gas at 3X the rate
with
little benefit.

Yeah, I ran one refrigerator, a couple of lights, the Direct TV
receiver
and large flat panel TV. I put it on the "idle" mode and it would run
from 9pm until about 7am on one tank of gas (a little over a
gallon). I'd fill it up in the morning and it ran all day until
evening on one
tank. If I wanted coffee or something, I'd unplug the refer
temporarily, make a pot of coffee, then switch back to the refer. The
only time the little Honda would automatically rev up for a couple of
seconds was when the compressor in the refer turned on or the coffee
maker was heating. After that it went back to idle mode.

My problem is pumps The pool is 1hp, the well is 3/4 hp and the house
pump is 3/4hp. I can determine when the pool starts but the well is at
the mercy of the pressure switches. I know all 3 plus 2 reefers in
locked rotor will trip the genny every time.
I know if something like this ever happens again I want better load
management. To start with I have to separate the fridges. They are on
the same phase now. That is just moving the breaker.
We seemed to have enough switch discipline that I had no problem
leaving all of the general lighting breakers on. Walking around
turning on lights was just like normal, just do what your momma told
you and turn the light off if you are not using it.

Other than the compressor surge when it starts a refer doesn't draw
much current once the compressor is running. Even a large
refrigerator draws less than two amps, once the compressor starts. I
ran two of them on the little Honda a couple of years ago, along with
a couple of lights and a TV. It would rev up over idle when either of
the refrigerator compressors started but then drop back. Never
tripped the breaker on the Honda. The e2000 is capable of about 16
amps max but it will generate up to 6 amps running on the "eco mode"
(idle).

In Florida the well pump was a problem. First, it was 220v, so trying
to run it off the little Honda was not possible (it only produces 120v).
During the week without power after Wilma, I'd fire up the 12.5kw
generator for about an hour in the morning to heat the water in the
hot water tank and run the well pump so I could take a shower. I'd
then shut it off and use the little Honda as described before. That
[...]

He didn't have storm drainsother than the dry babbleing brook
that ran through the property. You'd think you were in heaven if
he allowed you to camp out in his stables.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Say what?
How could it be a babbling brook if it was dry? y'all sure do talk funny down south.

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Sorry to burst your bubble this time Don but Justan and and Co. visited
more than once and it was always a pleasure and good times when they
did. We go back a ways.

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I bet you can, special guy!

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 03:06:45 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/19/2017 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:36:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/18/2017 7:54 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

On 9/16/2017 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

less than two amps, once the compressor starts. I ran two of them on
the little Honda a couple of years ago, along with a couple of lights
and a TV. It would rev up over idle when either of the refrigerator
compressors started but then drop back. Never tripped the breaker on
the Honda. The e2000 is capable of about 16 amps max but it will
generate up to 6 amps running on the "eco mode" (idle).

In Florida the well pump was a problem. First, it was 220v, so trying
to run it off the little Honda was not possible (it only produces 120v).
During the week without power after Wilma, I'd fire up the 12.5kw
generator for about an hour in the morning to heat the water in the hot
water tank and run the well pump so I could take a shower. I'd then
shut it off and use the little Honda as described before. That 12.5
generator burned almost a gallon an hour under load as I recall, the
local gas stations had no power, so I had to conserve the gas I had.

I really only had a problem when they all started at once. (pumps and
fridges)
I was worried about fuel but it turned out I went 8 days on what I had
with gas and half a tank of propane left over. I only started with 7
cans of gas and I had 3 empty ones I couldn't fill before the storm. I
won't make that mistake again.
running 24 hours a day I think I am still good for about 11 days
before I need something. With a little rationing I could easily make
that 2 weeks. I am always watching the side of the road. I will
increase my gas can inventory I am sure. I'm surprised I didn't find
one floating yet.
If I was really knowing I was going to be down a while I would run
gasoline during the day and propane at night. If it was just going to
likely be a day or so I would just use propane. That is expensive but
it is real easy to deal with. You don't have any storage problems,
there is a quick disconnect on the line and you just do the power
transfer, plug it in, turn on the gas and go.
I have been thinking about building an enclosure and just leaving it
out there. The advantage for me is not having the hassle of rolling it
around, keeping it secure, keeping it up off the ground (flood etc)
and I could sound deaden the thing. There is a bit of a design
challenge but any decent tiki bar builder could do it. ;-)

I made a huge difference in the noise with mover blankets hanging
around the thing.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:45:26 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

The generator burns 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 "gallons" of propane an hour,
depending on the load. We do keep the load as low as possible, though,

Yikes. I was complaining about 0.8 GPH. If you are happy burning 36
gallons a day and up, I will STFU. What do you pay for propane? It
seems to be $2-4 a gallon here depending on some mysterious formula.
A 250 gallon tank (really 200) is only going to last 5 days at the low
end of usage and you could burn it in 3 days if you actually used that
17KVA
Yikes!
So much for the whole house generator for me. Mine did run my whole
house minus the AC, dryer and water heater and I have a plan for the
water heater. With a pool, the AC is not important during the day and
at night my generator runs the mini split in the bedroom just fine.

wrote:

The generator burns 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 "gallons" of propane an hour,
depending on the load. We do keep the load as low as possible, though,

Yikes. I was complaining about 0.8 GPH. If you are happy burning 36
gallons a day and up, I will STFU. What do you pay for propane? It
seems to be $2-4 a gallon here depending on some mysterious formula.
A 250 gallon tank (really 200) is only going to last 5 days at the low
end of usage and you could burn it in 3 days if you actually used that
17KVA
Yikes!
So much for the whole house generator for me. Mine did run my whole
house minus the AC, dryer and water heater and I have a plan for the
water heater. With a pool, the AC is not important during the day and
at night my generator runs the mini split in the bedroom just fine.

The last time I looked, some months ago, it was about $2.59 a gallon.
Our "outages" usually last only a few hours, sometimes overnight, and
typically we only get one every few months. We got the generator after a
big outage that lasted a week. Our yippy-dippy local electrical co-op
seems to have gotten better over the years. Or the storms have gotten
smaller. If we had a four day outage, it would cost about $250 in fuel,
less than we'd spend on a decent local motel, assuming we could find one
that had power.

Jose's Sign John H[_2_] General 15 July 1st 10 01:25 PM
Jose Jalepeno [email protected] General 1 March 7th 08 04:14 PM
Hugo Vihlen to speak in San Jose Rob Malkin General 0 August 18th 04 05:11 AM
Kayakers in San Jose, CA Andrew Taylor General 1 January 13th 04 07:48 AM