Default Damn good chicken fried steak

Chicken Fried Steak

4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I use Tabasco Chipotle)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Directions
1. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda,
pepper, and salt. In a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, pepper sauce, and garlic.
Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto
the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
2. Heat the shortening to 350F. (I use an electric fry pan in the garage). Fry the steaks until
evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to
drain. Keep steaks warm in 225F oven.
3. Make your favorite country gravy. I use the packaged stuff.
4. Have wife make mashed potatoes and corn while you're doing the heavy cooking in the garage.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:26:04 -0400, John H
wrote:

Chicken Fried Steak

4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)

Looks good. I still think you should try the 48 pin tenderizer. I just
did one tonight using top sirloin and the texture is so much better
than cubed steaks.

wrote:

Chicken Fried Steak

4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)

Looks good. I still think you should try the 48 pin tenderizer. I just
did one tonight using top sirloin and the texture is so much better
than cubed steaks.

Which one do you like?
http://tinyurl.com/y9l5xc2e

Normally our Safeway has nice cuts of cube steak that look like they must come from the eye of the
round. But the ones yesterday were tough and gnarly. I'm plenty willing to give the sirloin a try.

wrote:

Chicken Fried Steak

4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)

Looks good. I still think you should try the 48 pin tenderizer. I just
did one tonight using top sirloin and the texture is so much better
than cubed steaks.

Which one do you like?
http://tinyurl.com/y9l5xc2e

Normally our Safeway has nice cuts of cube steak that look like they must come from the eye of the
round. But the ones yesterday were tough and gnarly. I'm plenty willing to give the sirloin a try.

I have the Deni MT48 but I see they have been knocked off by someone
at $12 in that ad.
Even if the cube steak is made from a nice piece of meat it still
loses a lot of the meaty texture. The tenderizer allows you to control
how badly you beat it up and you can see the meat before it gets
tenderized. You can really use just about anything that is on sale if
you trim out the gnarly parts and feed them to the dog. Publix had
that top sirloin for $5 a pound and it worked great. You really do not
need to "cube" it to tenderize it.

wrote:

[...]

I talked to the meat man at Safeway. He said he always uses eye of round, which is good. When I
showed him a package of what I'd bought yesterday, he blamed it on his underling. But he did pull
the stuff off the shelf. He had put out some eye of round this a.m. I should have waited a day.

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 12:27:14 -0400, John H
wrote:

I talked to the meat man at Safeway. He said he always uses eye of round, which is good. When I
showed him a package of what I'd bought yesterday, he blamed it on his underling. But he did pull
the stuff off the shelf. He had put out some eye of round this a.m. I should have waited a day.

I don't really trust what they say, particularly with a mystery meat
like cube steaks. It is far to easy to just cube whatever they have
around and can't sell. Once it has been through the machine and
perhaps knitted (laying a few thin slices together and running them
through) you do not know what you are getting.

wrote:

I talked to the meat man at Safeway. He said he always uses eye of round, which is good. When I
showed him a package of what I'd bought yesterday, he blamed it on his underling. But he did pull
the stuff off the shelf. He had put out some eye of round this a.m. I should have waited a day.

I don't really trust what they say, particularly with a mystery meat
like cube steaks. It is far to easy to just cube whatever they have
around and can't sell. Once it has been through the machine and
perhaps knitted (laying a few thin slices together and running them
through) you do not know what you are getting.

I have no trouble telling the eye of round cut from the other. The eye of round steaks are very
uniform in size and dimensions.

Around here cube steak is just mystery meat and if you read cooking
books or watch the TV guys they say the same thing. I agree if you
really look close you might be able to see fat and gristle in the
product but sometime they put that on the down side in the tray.
I used to buy them all the time with widely mixed results. I used them
for sandwiches more than anything else and some time there was so much
gristle in them you couldn't bite through the sandwich. I do not have
that problem when I make my own, the texture is much better and the
price is better.

wrote:

[...]

Normally it's mystery meat most everywhere, but this Safeway has been using the same cut for years.
Yesterday was the first time I've seen something other than the eye of round cut.

These make good sandwiches also, but I'd rather have them with mashed potatos, country style gravy,
and some corn. Good meal there.

Country Fried Steak Poco Deplorevole General 6 January 26th 17 05:28 PM
Damn I'm good... Tom Francis - SWSports General 1 December 2nd 08 01:02 AM
Negroes eat too much fried chicken Mike[_9_] ASA 13 July 11th 08 11:19 AM
Fried chicken now ok Mike[_9_] ASA 4 July 10th 08 11:22 PM
The good xian paranoid again, was Chicken Hawks Maorm Gudresson ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:17 PM