John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Damn good chicken fried steak

Chicken Fried Steak

4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I use Tabasco Chipotle)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Directions
1. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda,
pepper, and salt. In a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, pepper sauce, and garlic.
Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto
the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
2. Heat the shortening to 350F. (I use an electric fry pan in the garage). Fry the steaks until
evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to
drain. Keep steaks warm in 225F oven.
3. Make your favorite country gravy. I use the packaged stuff.
4. Have wife make mashed potatoes and corn while you're doing the heavy cooking in the garage.