Default Country Fried Steak

Also called 'Chicken Fried Steak' in some parts of our great country. This is a great recipe.

Chicken Fried Steak
4 -6 beef cube (tenderized) steaks (1 1/2-2lbs)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I use Tabasco Chipotle)
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable oil for frying (might take more)

Directions
1.Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and
salt. In a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, pepper sauce, and garlic. Dredge each
steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface
of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
2.Heat the shortening to 350F. (I use an electric fry pan in the garage). Fry the steaks until
evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to
drain. Keep steaks warm in 225F oven.
3.Make your favorite country gravy. I use the packaged stuff.
4.Have wife make mashed potatoes and corn while you're doing the heavy cooking in the garage.
Tim Tim is offline

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 6:41:24 AM UTC-6, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

pepper for the gravy!

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:41:23 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

[...]

I usually make my own tenderized steaks.
Get one of these and you can use thin sliced bottom round or whatever
they have on sale. It generally ends up being better meat than the
cubed steaks at the store where they start with the nastiest cuts they
have laying around. I have had cubed steaks that still has so much
gristle in them they were just a stringy mess.

wrote:

[...]

Our Safeway does a super job. They start with round steak and after the tenderizing the pieces are
about 3/8" thick and come out great. It's one of the few things our Safeway does right. If the cube
steak wasn't as good as it is, I'd consider buying the machine to do it myself. I couldn't justify
it now. Besides, I get to fix them no more than once a month. Gotta keep the weight down, ya know.

wrote:

[...]

I don't have a machine. I use this. It does not beat up the meat that
bad and still does a great job.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-20034.../dp/B001347JK6

wrote:

[...]

Yup, thought about that too. But the Safeway stuff works very well. It's also on sale frequently.

Tube Steak Lover Jennifer L. Racey Decker Anonymous[_8_] Boat Building 0 August 17th 13 09:22 PM
Bennigan's, Steak & Ale Closes Nationwide hk General 12 July 30th 08 12:29 AM
Negroes eat too much fried chicken Mike[_9_] ASA 13 July 11th 08 11:19 AM
Fried chicken now ok Mike[_9_] ASA 4 July 10th 08 11:22 PM
Fried alternator [email protected] Electronics 6 January 15th 05 06:52 AM