Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Classic '71 40HP Evinrude Troubleshooting Question

Hi All,

I have a 1971 40 HP Evinrude (model #40152B). I bought it used a few
years ago, and its actually been a great runner even though I admittedly
abuse it maintenance-wise. Damn thing starts up quicker and more
reliably than my '85 Merc...

Anyway, this year, its started "spitting" and "coughing" at low RPM's.
When throttled maybe 15% past idle, it sounds great. If the gas were
bad or the oil mixture not right, the RPM's would not matter, correct?

I've changed the plugs and poured some seafoam into the tank and ran
hard on the lake for a good afternoon, but neither seemed to help the issue.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,

Ryan

old evinrude 40hp motor dave Cruising 1 October 6th 07 08:15 PM
Replace or Repair 1969 40hp Johnson Repair Question volleybiggs General 2 May 2nd 07 04:59 PM
Advice Please...86' 15hp Evinrude cooling system troubleshooting garcam General 3 January 23rd 07 06:50 AM
76 Mariner 40hp question Jack Redington General 7 August 24th 04 10:51 PM
Points part number: 74 Evinrude 40hp Ryan Lester General 2 June 3rd 04 06:46 PM