Mark Browne

Default Which Prop?

"Charles" wrote in message

Harry Krause wrote:

Of course, that was in the days before corporate America
went for a disposable workforce.

It's a giggle that you believe all of the ills in America can be blamed
upon corporations and conservatives.

What a teensy brain you must have.

-- Charlie

OK, now that you got your personal attack out of your system, what other
causes are there for American ills?
Please be specific, and include possible cures if you think you know any.

Mark Browne

Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

I've mentioned before that I'll be replacing Far Cove's engine this
winter (assuming I can sell the appt!) with a 26hp Universal M25XPB. What
prop should I buy to go with it?

I've heard Good Things about the Campbell Sailor, but some not-so-good
things as well. Mi Wheel is, of course, the Standard and probably the
cheapest.

What about a feathering prop like the AutoProp? Worth the money?

I've decided on a 3-blade, and drag under sail is not a BIG issue (I
don't race) but is a factor. Mainly I want max thrust/speed, both in clear
water and into a chop.

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

If I had to get another fixed prop, I'd get it computer checked (and
balanced if needed) before mounting it the first time. Our new 2-blade
prop had a full 1" imbalance between the two, which aggravated an
existing harmonic vibration and slowed us down.

--
Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:45:25 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

I've mentioned before that I'll be replacing Far Cove's engine this
winter (assuming I can sell the appt!) with a 26hp Universal M25XPB. What
prop should I buy to go with it?

I've heard Good Things about the Campbell Sailor, but some not-so-good
things as well. Mi Wheel is, of course, the Standard and probably the
cheapest.

What about a feathering prop like the AutoProp? Worth the money?

I've decided on a 3-blade, and drag under sail is not a BIG issue (I
don't race) but is a factor. Mainly I want max thrust/speed, both in clear
water and into a chop.

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

Well, for virtually 1/2 the price of the new engine, they'd better walk
the dog, paint the boat, fix the head, give me sexual satisfaction and go
out and get beer and pizza afterwards!

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:45:25 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

Well, for virtually 1/2 the price of the new engine, they'd better walk
the dog, paint the boat, fix the head, give me sexual satisfaction and go
out and get beer and pizza afterwards!

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

The improvement in reverse alone may be worth the cost. I saw a 40'
Catalina try to back in about a month ago and its prop walk was the
worst I've seen in any boat. I think I could have done a bit better than
the renter (used to a smaller performance sailboat), but that's because
I've intentionally learned how to use walk and know when to punch it and
quickly slip into neutral.

Imagine having nearly full thrust in reverse if/when you run aground.
Being able to get off quickly might save enough of your energy for
everything else.

BTW, we paid about $2k for our MaxProp just over a year ago. A few
minutes after I paid for ours, I chatted with a Catalina 38 owner that
got the exact same prop (16" 3 blade). [That's the largest prop they'd
sell me; we could fit a 20" with our clearance and would have gotten one
if they'd let us -- I'm of the bigger-prop-is-better crowd.] The $1500
differential (possibly less with a Catalina 36) isn't 1/2 the price of
the new engine.

--
Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:13:46 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:45:25 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

Well, for virtually 1/2 the price of the new engine, they'd better
walk
the dog, paint the boat, fix the head, give me sexual satisfaction and
go out and get beer and pizza afterwards!

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

[SNIP]

BTW, we paid about $2k for our MaxProp just over a year ago. A few
minutes after I paid for ours, I chatted with a Catalina 38 owner that
got the exact same prop (16" 3 blade). [That's the largest prop they'd
sell me; we could fit a 20" with our clearance and would have gotten one
if they'd let us -- I'm of the bigger-prop-is-better crowd.] The $1500
differential (possibly less with a Catalina 36) isn't 1/2 the price of
the new engine.

Where do you get a MaxProp? Know any place in Canada? (I ask because
these days it costs $100 or so to get ANYTHING across the border!) I
searched the web and all I found was Property Managers. The "1/2 the price
of the engine" came from the quote I got for an AutoProp: $3K. And the
engine is about $6K (About $8500 CDN).

(BTW: I'm not really concerned with reverse - after nearly 15 yrs, I've
gotten used to Far Cove's propwalk and use it to my advantage. But extra
punch in fwd would be nice!)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Wayne.B

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:19:57 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

If you like to sail in light air, you will not be happy with a 3
bladed fixed prop. If light air speed is not important to you however
that would be a good choice for performance under power.

Mike Bailey

Harry:

My dad was a deaf linotype operator most of his life until Korporate
america disposed of him 10 years before retirement. He supported all
six of us...Thanks for the reminder of days past.

-Mike

In article , Harry Krause
wrote:

Frank Maier wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message

I like your hotmail name, Harry. Were you a linotype guy in a previous life?

No, but I was a newspaperman, and I loved the mechanics of hot type,
plating and rumbling presses. I fooled around a little with monotype and
linotype machines, and learned to set headlines by hand with a type
stick letters from a California type case. The "handle" actually comes
from the way letters were dumped in the type case.

At the newspaper where I worked, all the linotype machines were operated
by graduates of a school for the deaf. It was skilled work, paid well,
and offered good benefits, and the typesetters were valued employees of
the newspaper. Of course, that was in the days before corporate America
went for a disposable workforce.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
[...]

I think we got ours from PYI http://www.pyiinc.com/ MaxProp
themselves are at http://www.max-prop.com/

You might try http://www.vicprop.com/sales.htm who are in Canada and
say they handle the MaxProp.

I don't think you will get an extra punch in fwd. As I understand it
(and I may be wrong), the reason that you get more reverse is that the
prop paddles are not 'cupped' or angled like the fixed prop ones are,
but are flat. The cupping is for maximum performance in forward gear,
and it makes reverse less efficient. If you have a flat prop, then it
is equally good in both directions.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Marcus AAkesson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:18:38 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I don't think you will get an extra punch in fwd. As I understand it
(and I may be wrong), the reason that you get more reverse is that the
prop paddles are not 'cupped' or angled like the fixed prop ones are,
but are flat. The cupping is for maximum performance in forward gear,
and it makes reverse less efficient. If you have a flat prop, then it
is equally good in both directions.

The MaxProp turns the blade when reversing, presenting the same
"forward" edge of the blades in both forward and reverse, thus
providing a very good thrust also in reverse since there is no
compromise between fwd and reverse efficiency in the blade design.

IMO, the only "better" prop than MaxProp is the Gori
folding-feathering (or what to call it), but that's even more
expensive.

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Doug Dotson

The Luke is nice because its geometry is pretty much identical
to a fixed prop in fwd and rev. No poor performance in
rev like some feathering or folding props.

Doug

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

[...]

convert johnson prop to mercury richg99 General 1 September 22nd 03 12:23 PM
Prop Size 1990 Bayliner 22.55 Ciera Sunbridge J K General 1 September 15th 03 10:32 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM