Rosalie B.

Default Which Prop?

x-no-archive:yes
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:13:46 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:45:25 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

Well, for virtually 1/2 the price of the new engine, they'd better
walk
the dog, paint the boat, fix the head, give me sexual satisfaction and
go out and get beer and pizza afterwards!

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

[SNIP]

BTW, we paid about $2k for our MaxProp just over a year ago. A few
minutes after I paid for ours, I chatted with a Catalina 38 owner that
got the exact same prop (16" 3 blade). [That's the largest prop they'd
sell me; we could fit a 20" with our clearance and would have gotten one
if they'd let us -- I'm of the bigger-prop-is-better crowd.] The $1500
differential (possibly less with a Catalina 36) isn't 1/2 the price of
the new engine.

Where do you get a MaxProp? Know any place in Canada? (I ask because
these days it costs $100 or so to get ANYTHING across the border!) I
searched the web and all I found was Property Managers. The "1/2 the price
of the engine" came from the quote I got for an AutoProp: $3K. And the
engine is about $6K (About $8500 CDN).

(BTW: I'm not really concerned with reverse - after nearly 15 yrs, I've
gotten used to Far Cove's propwalk and use it to my advantage. But extra
punch in fwd would be nice!)

I think we got ours from PYI http://www.pyiinc.com/ MaxProp
themselves are at http://www.max-prop.com/

You might try http://www.vicprop.com/sales.htm who are in Canada and
say they handle the MaxProp.

I don't think you will get an extra punch in fwd. As I understand it
(and I may be wrong), the reason that you get more reverse is that the
prop paddles are not 'cupped' or angled like the fixed prop ones are,
but are flat. The cupping is for maximum performance in forward gear,
and it makes reverse less efficient. If you have a flat prop, then it
is equally good in both directions.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156