richg99

Default convert johnson prop to mercury

I previously bought a stainless steel prop for my older 25 hp Johnson.
Actually , I had two SS props for that motor.

I recently traded the Johnson in for a new Mercury 25 hp.One of the SS props
went with the trade-in...the other I still have.

My question is: Can the Johnson SS prop be re-worked to fit the Mercury? I
imagine the insert and the toothed gearing is different for each engine, but
if one can replace the insert ( in the case of a "spun" prop) cannot one
also replace the gearing to fit?? The new Mercury came with serviceable
aluminum prop, but the oyster beds here in
Galveston bay will eat that thing up in a Texas Minute!!!

Thanks for your advice and help. RichG

p.s. I know about the issues of a SS prop creating more stress on the lower
unit. Unless you fish in 9 inches of water over oyster beds, please do not
add your admonitions.

Tony Thomas

The hub can be replaced with a merc hub by any local prop shop. However, I
would try it as is. Probably will fit but the length may be too short or
too long. Splines should be the same size and fit. Merc slines are just
longer than the OMC. But the OMC will fit. Again, overall length of the
hub may cause a problem w/ the washers and nut.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"richg99" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Prop Size 1990 Bayliner 22.55 Ciera Sunbridge J K General 1 September 15th 03 10:32 PM
Group newbie with a prop question... WildestDream General 4 August 29th 03 05:30 AM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM