Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Prop question

I have an aluminum prop that came with my boat and has been on the boat for
the past two years. The engine and the prop have about 220 hours. I have
been fortunate enough to avoid ever running aground or dinging the prop on
any underwater objects, thus is is in good condition and only shows minimal
wear.

Should I still have the prop reconditioned?? Is it possible that after
enough normal use, the prop can lose shape and still be in need of service?
I am not having any problems but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Frank

RG

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
I have an aluminum prop that came with my boat and has been on the boat

for
the past two years. The engine and the prop have about 220 hours. I have
been fortunate enough to avoid ever running aground or dinging the prop on
any underwater objects, thus is is in good condition and only shows

minimal
wear.

Should I still have the prop reconditioned?? Is it possible that after
enough normal use, the prop can lose shape and still be in need of

service?
I am not having any problems but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

If your prop has suffered no damage from any sort of direct impact, and
you're happy with the way your boat performs with it, then there is no
reason to recondition your prop. There's nothing wrong with the prop. Save
your money for the next time something *really* needs done to the boat.
Better yet, use the money toward a spare prop and mounting hardware, if you
don't already carry them on board. Congratulations on keeping an aluminum
prop in such good shape over the last two years. You've obviously been
careful, and perhaps a bit lucky.

Matt

I have a spin off question........ I Just boat a 94 Chaparral it has an SS
Prop, there is a little ding in it from my first time out (runnin into a
rock) nothing major. I really don't know if something "feels" wrong being a
new boat driver and all. I got an estimate to get it reconditioned / take
the ding out and it was about $140-190. That seems high, right? Any
suggestions? The boat drives fine, but again i really wouldn't know what to
look for if something was off.

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
I have an aluminum prop that came with my boat and has been on the boat

for
the past two years. The engine and the prop have about 220 hours. I have
been fortunate enough to avoid ever running aground or dinging the prop on
any underwater objects, thus is is in good condition and only shows

minimal
wear.

Should I still have the prop reconditioned?? Is it possible that after
enough normal use, the prop can lose shape and still be in need of

service?
I am not having any problems but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Frank

RG

"Matt" wrote in message
I have a spin off question........ I Just boat a 94 Chaparral it has an SS
Prop, there is a little ding in it from my first time out (runnin into a
rock) nothing major. I really don't know if something "feels" wrong being

new boat driver and all. I got an estimate to get it reconditioned / take
the ding out and it was about $140-190. That seems high, right? Any
suggestions? The boat drives fine, but again i really wouldn't know what

look for if something was off.

SS props are more expensive to repair than aluminum props. But the quote
you got suggests that there is more wrong than just a little ding. Did the
prop shop actually see the prop before giving you the quote? If he didn't
see it, perhaps the quote is covering his butt, just in case it's worse than
you described over the phone. If it is indeed just a little ding, with very
little metal missing and no change in shape to the blade, you can get by
using a file to remove any burr on the edge of the blade. Stroke the file
toward the blade. If there is more than a very small amount of metal
missing, the metal will have to be replaced via welding by a prop shop and
the prop will have to be rebalanced. Running an unbalanced prop is not a
good idea. Tough on running gear. If in doubt, take it in to a prop shop
and let them look at it. Should be no charge to have it looked at and given
advice on how best to proceed.

D Smyth

You'll know when your prop needs work. There will be noticeable engine
vibration. Even a small nick will cause some vibration. But it's also
obvious by looking at it. A few frayed edges are no big deal (although they
will reduce performance.) But a chunk out if it has to be fixed. I carry a
spare prop and a socket wrench to fit it. That's on my I/O. I figure my
Humminbird depth finder has paid for itself with the savings on prop
repairs. The gentleman who talks about the prop not being removed for 2
years is quite right. The prop on my 24 hp Mercury on my small boat has
never been removed. I wanted to take it off to get it rebuilt but it won't
budge and the prop shop wanted about $100 just to remove it. They tell me
that galvanic action actually causes the prop to weld itself to the shaft.

"RG" wrote in message news:eV1Ta.13743$Bp2.207@fed1read07...

[...]

Steve Barker

Too high. Check out http://www.midwestpropeller.com/midwestprice.htm
'Course by the time you ship it both directions, you'll be back where you
are now. G
--
Steve

Quick Prop Question M.E. General 10 August 2nd 03 03:53 AM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Are most Mercruiser Prop Hubs the same? M.E. General 0 July 18th 03 02:39 AM
Sea Ray 260DA question RG General 0 July 16th 03 10:07 PM
Prop advice for Volvo Penta Joseph General 2 July 11th 03 02:17 AM