RG

Default Prop question

"Matt" wrote in message
I have a spin off question........ I Just boat a 94 Chaparral it has an SS
Prop, there is a little ding in it from my first time out (runnin into a
rock) nothing major. I really don't know if something "feels" wrong being

new boat driver and all. I got an estimate to get it reconditioned / take
the ding out and it was about $140-190. That seems high, right? Any
suggestions? The boat drives fine, but again i really wouldn't know what

look for if something was off.

SS props are more expensive to repair than aluminum props. But the quote
you got suggests that there is more wrong than just a little ding. Did the
prop shop actually see the prop before giving you the quote? If he didn't
see it, perhaps the quote is covering his butt, just in case it's worse than
you described over the phone. If it is indeed just a little ding, with very
little metal missing and no change in shape to the blade, you can get by
using a file to remove any burr on the edge of the blade. Stroke the file
toward the blade. If there is more than a very small amount of metal
missing, the metal will have to be replaced via welding by a prop shop and
the prop will have to be rebalanced. Running an unbalanced prop is not a
good idea. Tough on running gear. If in doubt, take it in to a prop shop
and let them look at it. Should be no charge to have it looked at and given
advice on how best to proceed.