Jere Lull

Default Which Prop?

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

I've mentioned before that I'll be replacing Far Cove's engine this
winter (assuming I can sell the appt!) with a 26hp Universal M25XPB. What
prop should I buy to go with it?

I've heard Good Things about the Campbell Sailor, but some not-so-good
things as well. Mi Wheel is, of course, the Standard and probably the
cheapest.

What about a feathering prop like the AutoProp? Worth the money?

I've decided on a 3-blade, and drag under sail is not a BIG issue (I
don't race) but is a factor. Mainly I want max thrust/speed, both in clear
water and into a chop.

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

If I had to get another fixed prop, I'd get it computer checked (and
balanced if needed) before mounting it the first time. Our new 2-blade
prop had a full 1" imbalance between the two, which aggravated an
existing harmonic vibration and slowed us down.

--
Jere Lull