Jere Lull

Default Which Prop?

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:45:25 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Yes, they're expensive, but our 3 blade MaxProp is nearly as efficient
as a 2-blade Michigan Wheel, reverse is MUCH, MUCH better and we gain a
full knot under sail under many conditions. We got the one that can be
adjusted (out of the water), so it's slightly adjustable.

Well, for virtually 1/2 the price of the new engine, they'd better walk
the dog, paint the boat, fix the head, give me sexual satisfaction and go
out and get beer and pizza afterwards!

I'm leaning towards a $500 fixed 3-blade now, either the Campbell
Sailor or the MI Wheel "Sailor" line.

The improvement in reverse alone may be worth the cost. I saw a 40'
Catalina try to back in about a month ago and its prop walk was the
worst I've seen in any boat. I think I could have done a bit better than
the renter (used to a smaller performance sailboat), but that's because
I've intentionally learned how to use walk and know when to punch it and
quickly slip into neutral.

Imagine having nearly full thrust in reverse if/when you run aground.
Being able to get off quickly might save enough of your energy for
everything else.

BTW, we paid about $2k for our MaxProp just over a year ago. A few
minutes after I paid for ours, I chatted with a Catalina 38 owner that
got the exact same prop (16" 3 blade). [That's the largest prop they'd
sell me; we could fit a 20" with our clearance and would have gotten one
if they'd let us -- I'm of the bigger-prop-is-better crowd.] The $1500
differential (possibly less with a Catalina 36) isn't 1/2 the price of
the new engine.

--
Jere Lull