Default CCI 'Quiet-22' Ammo...not for me.

I've blown through a small box of 50 rounds of CCI's "quiet-22" ammo and
while it fires properly and is as accurate as it should be, I've
concluded that, as some have reported, it just doesn't have enough of a
powder charge to properly cycle my semi-auto rifle or pistol. It's too
bad, because the stuff usually is inexpensive. I have an almost full
small box left, and I guess I'll give it away.

It'll work fine in a revolver or bolt action rifle, of course, and it is
quieter than the standard charge or hi-velocity .22LR rounds.

So, for the time being, the best rounds for my silencer-equipped
firearms are the CCI Standard Velocity bullets, which have a full powder
charge but are just subsonic. They cycle flawlessly.

Norma makes a round called the Tac-22 which also is slightly subsonic
and is supposed to cycle semi-autos properly. Haven't come across any yet.

I have to say that the full Volquartsen "accurizing kit" was worth the
time and aggravation of the install, and the barrel I sent off to that
company for threading came back with the job beautifully done. Good
company, good customer service, good prices. If I were interested in
competing seriously in rimfire, I'd get one of the complete Volquartsen
pistols.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

On 2/12/15 12:08 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:33:05 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

[...]

Have you tried this

http://tinyurl.com/qe5chu2

It seems to cycle my woodsman but I only fired a couple.

Nope. 60-grain .22LR...sounds like fun!
Thanks.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 12:08:22 -0500, wrote:

Have you tried this

http://tinyurl.com/qe5chu2

It seems to cycle my woodsman but I only fired a couple.

===

I've tried them. They cycled OK in my Hi Standard but they didn't
seem to stabilize properly. A fair number of them passed through the
target sideways for some reason.
Tim Tim is offline

The "quiet" .22 is probably more suitable for bolt action or revolver. Unless youu use a lighter recoil spring but then it might have a problem loading the next round

On 2/12/2015 11:33 AM, Keyser Söze wrote:
[...]

I have almost a full box (500 rounds) of sub sonic .22 ammo also. Like
you say, it worked ok in the Ruger revolver I had but doesn't have
enough punch to properly cycle the Ruger SR22 I have. I haven't tried
it in the 10/22 rifle.

wrote:

[...]

I have a Ruger .177 single pump air rifle. It's louder than the
sub sonic .22 rounds. Probably because it's muzzle velocity is
1,200 to 1,400 ft/sec depending on what kind of pellets you use.

On 2/12/15 2:01 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

If I had a mag of 10 "quiet" rounds loaded, typically the pistol would
cycle two or three properly, and the rifle, three. I thought the
silencer would have an impact one way or the other, but it doesn't.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 1:33:35 PM UTC-5, Tim wrote:
The "quiet" .22 is probably more suitable for bolt action or revolver. Unless youu use a lighter recoil spring but then it might have a problem loading the next round

My FIL gave me a box of 100 CCI .22 shorts last weekend. Said he'd had them for a while and didn't need them anymore. The only thing I have I can shoot them in would be a cherry 1960's Savage Model 24 in .22/.410 with the selector on the hammer. Everything else is semi-auto LR.

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Try the Gemtech ammo I suggested in another post in this thread. It cycles an MP 15-22 just fine.

WalMart Ammo Poco Loco General 9 February 21st 14 02:46 PM
Looks like ammo is becoming more available... John H[_2_] General 55 August 4th 13 05:15 PM
9mm Ammo for Sale F.O.A.D. General 19 June 18th 13 01:19 AM
9mm Ammo for Sale F.O.A.D. General 1 June 12th 13 09:18 AM
Ammo F.O.A.D. General 11 May 7th 13 12:45 PM