Default The gun thread

On 11/5/2014 8:44 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:35:27 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:00:41 -0500, KC wrote:

I doubt it... Could be that they fudged the circumstances or edited
though. CNN and even more MSNBC have been caught several times doing
things like that.. I am not saying this story is fudged, but it's very
possible if nobody ever really got busted.

I think that if this was a real news story, they would have questioned
the sellers after the sale. I wonder why they didn't.
By fuzzing the faces and not addressing it any further, even to the
point of saying the seller refused an interview, they make this look
pretty hokey.
I agree that if this really happened the way they presented it, laws
were broken. My first question is where does the producer live? They
attempted to buy guns in a couple of states and the transactions on
tape were in Tennessee. I bet the producer lives in Georgia. (CNN is
based in Atlanta)
When BATF starts rounding up the criminals, they have to start with
the guy who taped his crime.

Well, can we for the purpose of this discussion view this "report" as a
hypothetical but not proven to be real yet? Of course that kills the
perspective of those in the discussion riding on this as "evidence"...

The role of journalism in a report like this isn't to effect the arrest
or apprehension of those breaking the law. It is to expose the law
breaking.

Journalists enjoy a privilege called "confidentiality of sources" and
are not required to identify the people in the report. That's why their
images are blurred.

Of course Dateline's "To catch a predator" had no problem following through. Many "news" stories have been staged, and later revealed. That this one hasn't doesn't mean it's real.

That show was specifically done in concert with law enforcement who were
conducting sting operations. Not really the same thing.

KC KC is offline

On 11/5/2014 8:35 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

They are still not allowed to commit or participate knowingly in a crime...
KC KC is offline

On 11/5/2014 8:44 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:35:27 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM,
wrote:
[...]

The problem here is the predator shows catch crims, this report would
suggest the reporter was a willing participant in the crime, at least to
the point of conspiracy to commit or effect... That's one way I figure
out a lot of the programs are real or not. There is one called mystery
diners where they put in cameras and planted employees and catch
restaraunt workers stealing and such, same thing with another show where
they try to catch "crooks" stealing from stores etc.. but you can tell
when they let someone go after committing grand larceny or "pretend"
they guy ran right by their security and got away with thousands of
dollars worth of merch..

On 11/5/2014 8:44 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:35:25 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

If this is as common as depicted, why has BATF not put a few
undercover folks in there and sent some sellers to jail? That would
surely make the news. Might even help the problem of too many guns out
there.

They do and are John. Both ineligible buyers and illegal sellers have
been caught and arrested. If you Google "illegal sales at gun show
arrests" it will return about 20,400,000 results for your reading pleasure.

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:01:50 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:44 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:35:27 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM,
wrote:
[...]

"Dateline NBC aired an investigative report on November 17, 1992, titled "Waiting to Explode". The 60-minute program focused on General Motors' Rounded-Line Chevrolet C/K-Series pickup trucks allegedly exploding upon impact during accidents due to the poor design of fuel tanks. Dateline '​s footage showed a sample of a low-speed accident with the fuel tank exploding. In reality, Dateline NBC producers had rigged the truck's fuel tank with remotely controlled model rocket engines to initiate the explosion.. The program did not disclose the fact that the accident was staged."

But that is.

On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

What crime did the show's producer commit? All he did was buy three
handguns and a rifle. Private sale, so no background check is required.

What was illegal, according to the report, is that the sellers were
supposed to confirm the ID of the purchaser to ensure he was a state
resident.

The show's intent was to demonstrate how *easy* it is for anyone to
purchase a firearm ... in this case several ... with no background
checks and not even a check to ensure the buyer was entitled to buy.

It wasn't to expose law breaking (although it did).

wrote:
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:35:27 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I remember that. Agreed, it was proven it was staged. In their
defense, NBC issued a statement that the problem with the GM trucks
was well known and documented. They just couldn't get the thing to
catch fire for their filming purposes, so they faked what caused the
leaking fuel to ignite. Not exactly honest and they should have
acknowledged it in the documentary.

It turns out that the problem with the side saddle tanks in the trucks
*was* real though. Here's what the Center For Auto Safety says about them:

"The side saddle fuel tank design installed in over 10 million trucks -
all 1973-87 General Motors full-size pickups and cab-chassis trucks
(pickups without beds) and some 1988-91 dual cab or RV chassis - is the
worst auto crash fire defect in the history of the U.S. Department of
Transportation. Based on data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting
System (formerly known as the Fatal Accident Reporting System), over
2,000 people were killed in fire crashes involving these trucks from
1973 through 2009. (Attachment A is a list of fatal C/K fire crashes by
state since 1993.) This is more than twenty times as many fatalities as
in the infamous Ford Pinto. Despite a voluntary recall request from the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in April 1993
(Attachment B) and an initial defect determination by Transportation
Secretary Federico Pena in October 1994 (Attachment C), GM stubbornly
refused to initiate a recall."

GM has not always been forthcoming in acknowledging defects in their
products. It caught up to them with the recent "key" thing though.

KC KC is offline

On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

Is it not a crime to entice someone to commit a crime?
KC KC is offline

On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well, if this was the producers intent going in, would that be
conspiracy to commit a crime?

The show's intent was to demonstrate how *easy* it is for anyone to
purchase a firearm ... in this case several ... with no background
checks and not even a check to ensure the buyer was entitled to buy.

It wasn't to expose law breaking (although it did).

wrote:

On 11/5/2014 8:22 AM, KC wrote:
On 11/5/2014 12:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

CNN makes a big deal of buying three guns, but how often are the
arrests in the news? The arrests are what's newsworthy!

Fine Thread vs Course Thread Gary Warner General 15 June 22nd 04 08:30 PM
New Thread Donal ASA 16 January 21st 04 07:17 PM
What again? Another thread on Watermakers? Simple Simon ASA 14 December 9th 03 04:57 AM
The Nordie Thread Theodore Rudger ASA 0 October 7th 03 01:59 AM