Simple Simon

Default What again? Another thread on Watermakers?

"Ian Sandell" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:28:49 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

They're sailing in the tropics and I'd imagine will be spending a lot of
time swimming/diving and then showering with fresh, so they will probably
use more than your consumption in the north Atlantic. In summer in the Med I
get through about 60l per day though it would be nice to have 100l a day and
just not have to ration it at all.

How much? What do you do with 100l a day - bath in it?

For showers, use sal****er shampoo, then rinse with a litre of fresh.

Energy hogs are what we're talking about here. This is the type
of person who owns a sailboat that NEVER stops running machinery
of one sort of another. There is a noisy and smelly diesel generator
going 24/7, there is a noisy wind generator or two. There are
loud stereos blaring most of the night, dogs barking, people
hollering, etc. Add to this anchor chains rattling in the middle
of the night because the big noisy boat is dragging because no
proper anchor is shipped.

It's all about priorities. Anyone whose major concern is bathing
and consuming ridiculous quantities of water and making a bad
neighbor out of himself in any anchorage is no sailor. He's just
another lubber extending his obnoxious act out onto the water
where most people go to get away from his type and the lessening
of quality of life he provides.

S.Simon

Ric

Yeah I'm a landlubber - that's why I like swimming so much. Any fool can
sail all day on a teaspoon of water per day if they are scared of it.

Simple Simon

If you ever did anything but hang out here and post
inane thoughts you might realize that when I get
settled down in a nice, quiet, snug anchorage after
a day's cruising be it in the Bahamas, the Keys
or anywhere along the U.S. Gulf and East Coasts it's
these noisy idiots who come in and anchor right on
top of me that causes me to make valid observations
about them and the pathetic, self-centered nature
of their lubberly actions.

S.Simon

"The Carrolls" wrote in message news
[...]

Ric

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

If you ever did anything but hang out here and post
inane thoughts you might realize that when I get
settled down in a nice, quiet, snug anchorage after
a day's cruising be it in the Bahamas, the Keys
or anywhere along the U.S. Gulf and East Coasts it's
these noisy idiots who come in and anchor right on
top of me that causes me to make valid observations
about them and the pathetic, self-centered nature
of their lubberly actions.

I'd agree with you totally. There is nothing worse than people running
generators or main motors to make electricity. But you can still run a
watermaker on 12v - the Katadyn 40E makes 15l/hour on 12v/5A and the Livol
makes 30l/hour on 12v/8A, both of which can therefore easily be powered by
solar and fan.

Simple Simon

But that idiot was talking about 50 to 100 liters a day per person
with four persons aboard.

Making that much water takes a generator to provide that kind of energy.

S.Simon

"Ric" wrote in message ...

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

If you ever did anything but hang out here and post
inane thoughts you might realize that when I get
settled down in a nice, quiet, snug anchorage after
a day's cruising be it in the Bahamas, the Keys
or anywhere along the U.S. Gulf and East Coasts it's
these noisy idiots who come in and anchor right on
top of me that causes me to make valid observations
about them and the pathetic, self-centered nature
of their lubberly actions.

I'd agree with you totally. There is nothing worse than people running
generators or main motors to make electricity. But you can still run a
watermaker on 12v - the Katadyn 40E makes 15l/hour on 12v/5A and the Livol
makes 30l/hour on 12v/8A, both of which can therefore easily be powered by
solar and fan.

Simple Simon

Making water with a beer keg in 700 feet of water is meant
to be a parody. Making water with expensive reverse osmosis
energy hogs is about as stupid and impractical, or more so.

Typical lubber sailor attitude is bringing the shore power and
all the shore crap like showers out on the water where there
is no place for them. Think about the fact that rain comes out
of the sky. Think about the fact that all the fresh water one
could possibly need on a sailboat can be collected from that
which falls out of the sky. Anything else that makes noise
and disturbs others is an abomination.