Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
jps jps is offline

Default What could possibly go wrong?

"That's right. After the Safe Carry Protection Act passed in Georgia,
many of us made the sarcastic remark, "What could possibly go wrong?'
Well, Saturday night something did. In the picturesque tourist town of
Helen in the North Georgia mountains, a woman died as the result of a
stray bullet which had already penetrated the shooter's hand as he
stood outside a bar across the street from her.

The German Alpine themed small town hosts many bars and is a popular
tourist destination. The streets can be crowded on weekends and during
the yearly Oktoberfest celebrations. Drinking is one popular pastime
and set the scene for Saturday's tragedy.

The shooter is a 53 year old man with a previous drunk driving
conviction in 1999. He was outside a bar when the shooting occurred.
He was found sitting on a bench with his injured hand. The woman his
bullet found lay on the sidewalk across the street, dead at the scene,
surrounded by family and friends, some of them children.

Many years ago our family visited the little town during their
Oktoberfest. We noticed students in various stages of intoxication
staggering into a fudge shop and joked, "What could possibly go
wrong?" as we imagined the nauseating mixture of fudge and way too
much beer. We never imagined the deadly new combination that would
result many years later.

The man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter."