Default my weather....

On Monday, January 6, 2014 1:00:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 6, 2014 12:53:23 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:35:29 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

On Monday, 6 January 2014 12:36:38 UTC-4, Tim wrote:

10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

We're at a balmy 42 F with a light rain.

A few miles inland tells a different story.

When I walked the dogs at 7:30, it was a nice 45 F, but now it's dropped to 35 F and still dropping.

It's supposed to get down to 7 F tonight, but that's not nearly as bad as points west northwest.

--

Hope you're day is spectacular!

Mid 40's overnight, but today it's windy and the temps are dropping here as well. 17 degrees tonight for us. Down here that's damn cold!

Well, updates put us at 12 degrees tonight, and not getting above 32 tommorrow. WTF!

Will be 70+ this weekend. I can't wait.
Tim Tim is offline

On Monday, January 6, 2014 4:07:27 PM UTC-6, Gene Kearns wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 08:36:38 -0800 (PST), Tim

wrote:

10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

Maybe St. Somewhere.....?

I'd like to be in the islands this week, but eh, that's ok. that trip is coming. But I'm kinda liking being cooped up in the house today.
Tomorrow might be pretty promising as well...

Poco Loco wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 14:23:17 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/6/2014 10:36 AM, Tim wrote:
10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know
of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

There are people praying for global warming.
I'm in sunny Florida, it's 42F*, going down to 24F* tonight.
I picked over 550 tangerines from one tree yesterday.
My wife picked the Pomelo's and covered the lemon trees today.
The grapefruit trees are on there own tonight.
She's got about 40 wintermelons* in outdoor storage, I'll be wiring
up some heat for them tonight.

Mikek

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_melon

Interesting. I'd never heard of 'winter melon'.

Hope your trees don't suffer much.
--

Hope you're day is spectacular!

Try winter melon soup at your better Chinese restaurant.

On 1/6/2014 10:36 AM, Tim wrote:
10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know
of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

There are people praying for global warming.
I'm in sunny Florida, it's 42F*, going down to 24F* tonight.
I picked over 550 tangerines from one tree yesterday.
My wife picked the Pomelo's and covered the lemon trees today.
The grapefruit trees are on there own tonight.
She's got about 40 wintermelons* in outdoor storage, I'll be wiring
up some heat for them tonight.

Mikek

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_melon

We need a little but of cold weather to get the oranges sweet enough.
30 for a little while is OK but if it lasts very long or gets colder
than that they will freeze.
We are only looking at 40 or so here in the morning but out East it
will be colder.
It will be warming back up after that little blast.
We are looking at 80s again by the end of the week.
I am hoping to get back to my bump out on the screen cage and wrap
that up.
I also need to pull my *boat* and do the 100 hour on it.

Are your orange trees threaten by the bug I heard is decimating the
commercial groves?

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 1/6/2014 2:01 PM, True North wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2014 14:13:58 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/6/2014 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know
of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

The coldest weather I ever experienced was in Zion, IL back in 1973.

I've forgotten the actual temps but one weekend they were like what you

are experiencing now ... double digits below zero.

Someone advised me that I should start my car every couple of hours and

let it run for about 15 minutes to keep the oil from thickening and the

battery charged. Big mistake. (I had a 1969 Ford LTD with a 429 c.i.

engine).

It started and I let it run for the prescribed 15 minutes. It didn't

start again for two days. I finally removed a spark plug and the

electrode was fully encased in ice, as were the electrodes on the other

seven plugs. You would think that running for 15 minutes would have

heated everything enough to remove any residual water vapor, but I guess

not.

I have a block heater on my Highlander and now have to purchase a battery blanket.
Those two items are more than enough for our climate.
A normal winter might require 6-10 instances where I use them.
My outside plug is controlled by a switch at the top of the basement stairs.
In the cape Cod style house I built in the burbs back in the mid '70s,
the switch was right over my head in bed.
I didn't even have to open my eyes...just reach up to get the warmth flowing.
The old 77 Aspen Wagon's slant six loved me for it.

Yeah, this winter I bought one of those magnetic heaters for my diesel
powered tractor. It's only 200 watts and thermostatically controlled, so
I leave it plugged in all the time. I stuck it on the bottom of the oil
pan and it seems to help a lot. Although sluggish because the battery
was cold, it still fired right up the other day after running the glow
plug for 20 seconds. It was 5 degrees at the time. Diesels don't like cold.

I was in Steam Boat Springs the Winter of 1968. Car was in the shade, and
would not hardly turn over. Had to get a jump start. Was the 4 speed
manual tranny. The temps was about zero, and the oil was very stiff. Soon
as I put in the clutch and engine fired right up. Do you use a cold
weather additive in the diesel?

On 1/6/2014 10:36 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

I'll do that, or at least look for it.
--

Hope you're day is spectacular!

KC KC is offline

On 1/6/2014 11:36 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Just gonna' remind you all that if your battery is dead in the winter,
make sure it's not frozen before you put a jump to it.... No
exaggeration, if it's frozen and you add boost it could blow with the
force of a quarter stick of dynamite. I have seen parts fly 30 yards
when a frozen battery exploded. In the winter time, always stand behind
the hood or a door when applying boost to a dead battery, and when
someone turns the key...

wrote:

10" of drifting snow and -10 below 0f. and breezy. (wind chill like -40)

Not the coldest place on the planet but it's the coldest place I know of seeing w haven't had this type of weather in years.

No need to go anywhere...

===

According to the Weatherunderground radar there is snow and freezing
rain about 60 miles north of here near Sarasota. That does not bode
well for a good beach day tomorrow.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=d5&size=2x&type=loop

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:

Yeah, this winter I bought one of those magnetic heaters for my diesel
powered tractor. It's only 200 watts and thermostatically controlled, so
I leave it plugged in all the time. I stuck it on the bottom of the oil
pan and it seems to help a lot. Although sluggish because the battery
was cold, it still fired right up the other day after running the glow
plug for 20 seconds. It was 5 degrees at the time. Diesels don't like cold.

I was in Steam Boat Springs the Winter of 1968. Car was in the shade, and
would not hardly turn over. Had to get a jump start. Was the 4 speed
manual tranny. The temps was about zero, and the oil was very stiff. Soon
as I put in the clutch and engine fired right up. Do you use a cold
weather additive in the diesel?

I don't add anything to the fuel because I have been told that whatever
is needed during winter months is added by the fuel distributor. Same
with boats, I found out years ago when I had diesels. The fuel
distributor adds additives that are supposed to prevent the little
critters from growing in the fuel if stored for a long period of time.

Back in the late 80s I had a Ford Ranger with a manual transmission
made by Mazda. Decided to stop at a Jiffy Lube type place and they
recommended changing the transmission fluid (lube). Like an idiot I
said "ok".

The clown (probably a junior high school part timer) put 90 weight gear
lube in it. The manual transmission used in the Ranger is supposed to
take regular automatic transmission fluid.

The first cold day we had, I got in the truck, started it up and tried
to put it in reverse to back out of the driveway. I couldn't budge the
gear shift out of whatever gear it was in.

Tim Tim is offline

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

That's interesting. You'd think that the 'qwerk-lube' (lol) places would know what spec. oils goes in what. but many don't. and the kid probably thought it was like his old mans '68 3/4 ton that took 90/120, so...

Bad weather in NW Thom Stewart ASA 8 November 16th 06 02:35 AM
NW Weather; Local Weather Station Thom Stewart ASA 1 April 10th 06 10:12 PM
NW Weather Thom Stewart ASA 1 April 24th 05 03:46 PM
NW Weather Thom Stewart ASA 10 March 30th 05 08:08 PM
Ocean weather router / weather routing Bob Cook Cruising 0 August 13th 03 09:11 PM