Robert Krecak

Default trailer bearings

Guys,
The answer to this duel of egos is simple. When you inspected the bearings
they were probably good. My guess is you didn't adjust the nut correctly.
Tapered roller bearings must have a small (.001 - .005) freeplay or they
will SEIZE when they heat up, especially under a load. Reading a repair
manual is a good thing...

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
A bad wheel bearing will typically make grinding, whining or squealing
noises, and you can often feel the looseness or roughness if you raise the
suspension and rotate the wheel by hand. I felt nothing before or after
repacking the bearings.
Your guess is as good as mine. I maintain all my vehicles. What others

call
or do maintenance is just a guess. You are taking them on their word.
Boat trailer bearings are subject to possible water intrusion each and

every
time they are in contact with the water. Water is the main cause of

bearing
failure. Therefore, it is imperative to protect these bearings. One should
remove your wheels and inspect your bearings and seals on an annual basis.
Most don't they just give-em a squirt of grease.

Jack
"Lawrence James" wrote in message
nk.net...
You pulled all 6 wheels and inspected the inner and outer bearings on

all
of
them? Then repacked all of them? Pardon my scepticism but it would be
pretty odd for a wheel bearing to go from passing a visual inspection to
locking up a wheel in one trip.

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
Well I bought a used 6 wheeled trailer 9 years ago. I pulled the

wheels
and
checked the bearings. Even repacked them. Checked the grease seals.

On
the
way home I had a bearing freeze. Thankfully I didn't have a load on

the
trailer. After two days I was able to get back and replace all the

bearings,
grease seals, and the spindle that was ruined. I haven't had a

problem
since. We still load the trailer up to the max 10,000 lbs. every

week.
What
it really comes down to. Was the trailer maintained properly.

Jack
"Lawrence James" wrote in message
nk.net...
It is extremely easy to tell if a bearing is bad or not with a

visual
inspection. I don't replace good parts. You don't even know how

old
the
trailer is, how much it was used, or if it even was used in salt

water.
You
just offhanded recommend replacement with no other info about the
situation.
Does that sound like well thought out good advice to you?

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
Besides it's a lot cheaper to replace the trailer bearings than a

hub
that's
been ruined. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that you

won't
freeze
a bearing going to the ramp.
Jack
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Lawrence James wrote:

You di that with every car you buy? Same bearings, a lot less

use.
Nothing
wrong with pulling the wheels and inspecting the bearings. If

they
are
bad,
and it's pretty obvious when they are then replace them. You

won't
hurt
anything if the grease you added was wheel bearing grease.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I

noticed
that
the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the

label
it
said
not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease

was
used
before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and

what
do
you
recommend I do? Thanks

Regardless of the grease problem, the best thing you can do

with
used
trailer is pull the bearings, toss them, and replace them

with
new
bearings. All it takes is a few bucks and modest mechanical

skills.

Why take a chance?

I usually don't back my car into salt water over the hubs and

then
let
it sit in the parking lot for eight hours or more while I go
boat-riding. Nor do I subject my car to the kinds of abuse the

typical
boat trailer sees.

New trailer wheel bearings are a small investment that help

assure
safe
operation.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Jack Rye

I would have guessed that also. Unfortunately I worked in the local gas
station doing tune ups, breaks, transmissions, and pumped gas. For two
years, while in school. I probably could have made a mistake.

Jack

Fred wrote:

[...]

Rod McInnis

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
nk.net...
It is extremely easy to tell if a bearing is bad or not with a visual
inspection.

You may have the experience, expertise and critical eye to be able to
inspect a bearing and determin if it is okay or not. Not everyone can.

If you are driving down the road, and hear a growling rumble that goes away
when the car stops moving, you might suspect that a bearing has failed. A
failed brearing is pretty easy to spot. You pull the hubs, take a look at
the races, the one that was making all the noise is easy to spot.

If you had pulled the hub off 100 miles earlier and looked at that bearing,
it would not be so easy to spot that it was about to fail.

I don't replace good parts. You don't even know how old the
trailer is, how much it was used, or if it even was used in salt water.

You
just offhanded recommend replacement with no other info about the

situation.
Does that sound like well thought out good advice to you?

Sounds like good advice to me. If the guy who was originally asked the
question was as much of an expert as you are, then he probably wouldn't have
asked the question in the first place. Assuming that he does not have your
level of expertise, then just routinely changing the bearings on a trailer
of unknown history is a good idea.

Rod McInnis

Lawrence James

Sorry but I still don't agree. If he can't tell if they are bad or not then
he probably can't change them either. And contrary to Harry's suggestion
they are a lot easier to inspect that they are to change. Because if you
replace the bearings you should replace the races too. If one of the
bearings is bad then the race is bad too.

So now with no other knowledge except that this is a used trailer you guys
would all advise the guy to take it to a service center and probably pay a
couple hundred to have the bearings all replaced? Again does that sound
like the best advise you can give him?

I'd ask some more questions before I gave advice on replacing the bearings.
Like how old is the trailer? Where did the previous owner use it? How
often was the trailer and boat used. How many axles on the trailer? How
big is the boat? Was it used in fresh water or salt water?

All he asked was if he was going to have a problem because of the grease he
used. And all of you tell him to replace the bearings.

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

[...]

Fred

Default trailer bearings more info.

Thanks for all the responses. I will try to answer the questions to give
you more to go on.

I'd ask some more questions before I gave advice on replacing the

bearings.
Like how old is the trailer?

four years old

Where did the previous owner use it?
short trips to put in

How
often was the trailer and boat used.

boat has 115 hours on it

How many axles on the trailer?
tandem axel

How
big is the boat?

20 foot Celebrity

Was it used in fresh water or salt water?
fresh water

Thanks.

All he asked was if he was going to have a problem because of the grease

he
used. And all of you tell him to replace the bearings.

Lawrence James

Your trailer will be fine. I'm guessing you have bearing buddies with a
grease fitting on each wheel. You should give them a little grease a couple
times during the boating season. I usually do it the same time I'm hitting
the outdrive fittings. Preferably with marine grease. If you hear any
rumblings or grinding from a trailer wheel it should be checked. Good luck
with your new boat, I hope it serves you well.

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Ian Malcolm

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Buy new bearings complete with races for ONE wheel as a spare, Probably
best to get a spare hub so you have the outer race installed (or even a
complete spare wheel).
Carry the spares on any trip of more than a couple of miles.

At the end of each season, strip each hub, wipe out as much grease as
possible and solvent degrease the bearings, hub and inner races. Check
the races and rollers in the bearing for any pitting, replace if they look
doubtful or are visibly pitted or significantly worn. If you aren't sure,
compare with your unused spare bearing.
If you have been experiencing excessive grease leakage behind the wheel,
replace the rubber axle seal.

Repack the bearing and hub with grease, replace on the axle and tighten
the nut down. Make sure the bearings have seated properly, back off the
nut until the wheel can just be wobbled laterally with the trailer jacked
up if you grab it with your hands at 3 & 9 o'clock positions. If the hole
for the split pin does not line up with the castellated nut, back the nut
off a little more till it does. Use a BRAND NEW split pin. If your nut
is not retained by a split pin, ignore this bit and find out what's
reccomended for your hub.

I use the blue Lubrimatic water resistant marine and wheelbearing grease
(ISTRM its an OMC brand). 4 Years on the same bearings with no trouble
without bearing buddies and launching in salt water most of the time. I
either launch locally or drive a couple of hundred miles on each trip
(single axle unbraked trailer, around 500Kg max weight, our legal speed
limit for trailers is 60 Mph and I dont hang about on an open road). I
always remove the caps and drain the water out of the bearings when I've
hauled out, then gun in a bit of fresh grease after about 5 or 10 miles or
when I get home for local outings. The hubs always run cooler than the
tyres or the tow car's hubs. It doesnt hurt to run the bearings wet with
clean water if there is plenty of grease in there. Rust needs Oxygen as
well as water and as long as there is sufficient waterproof grease, the
air cant get at the individual water droplets.

Carry the above mentioned spares (dont forget the split pin), a jack that
can lift your trailer when its fully loaded, wrenches for the hub nut and
the wheel nuts, a loaded grease gun of your chosen grease and a roll of
kitchen tissue, latex gloves and a bag for the trash and do your annual
strip down, inspect and re-pack EVERY year and you will almost certainly
never be stuck at the roadside.

Its NOT a good idea to mix different brands of grease as they can be
incompatible and break each other down if they are of different types. I
reccomend you strip, clean and inspect your bearings now as you dont know
what the previous owner used then stick to one type and brand of waterpoof
grease. Always keep a whole tin spare in stock, that way if they
discontinue it, you dont have to strip the bearings because you need to
change brands mid season. You can always use up any part tins you get
left with on less critical applications.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Hell, just buy a brand new boat and trailer to be extra sure! :-)

Lawrence James wrote:
:LOL
:
:And better replace his tow vehicle too just to be sure :-)
:
:"Mark Pilcher" wrote in message
: Subject: trailer bearings
: From: "Lawrence James"
:
: All he asked was if he was going to have a problem because of the grease
:he
: used. And all of you tell him to replace the bearings.
:
: Why take a chance? He should replace the entire trailer.
:
:
:
:
:
: ;-)
:
: People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand
:ready to
: do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.
:
:
: