Gould 0738

Default Where to buy trailer axels ??

There's an excellent source for axles.

Check with any of the mobile home delivery companies in your area.

Mobile Homes are typically built on brand new axles, and those same axles are
routinely removed from under the mobile home when it is delivered and set up on
the trailer pad.

Sometimes the drivers just get to keep the axles as a "tip" and they are
interested in turning them into cash. Othertimes, the delivery company resells
them.

One of the trailer mfgrs up this way will quote a caller two prices for
building a boat trailer, one price with "brand new" axles and another, slightly
lower price with "mobile home take off" axles. Personally don't see a problem
with using the MH axles, but if you were going to build trailers for resale you
would want to do like our local trailer company does and fully disclose that
the axle(s) were previously used to transport a mobile home.
CCred68046

Most any trailer supply store has all of em you need. Shop online at
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/
Dale Gloer

Well, if you're in Canada, call or visit a Princess Auto store. They
have all the goodies! See
http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountr...Y=CAN&INF=home

Dale Gloer

Gary Warner wrote:
Ok, so after months of looking for the right person
to weld a custom trailer for us, we're thinking of
doing it ourselves. At first we had plenty to do
with restoring the boat + all the regular summer
projects. But after one trailer welder just blew
us off and after the other keeps moving back the
delivery date and when the off-the-shelf guys
want twice the money for an erector-set looking
thing that we *still* will have to modify....AND
we alerady put insulation & heating in the shop
last winter, so why not use it?

We've got the welder. Dad has built trailers (but
not boat trailers) before. He really didn't want
to tackle this, but now we might.

SO: Anyone have good starting places to look to buy
new trailer axels? We would need two axels. Each
rated at about 3000 lbs. Prefer torsion over
springs and drum brakes over disk. If the torsion
were "drop axel" to give us even more wiggle
room that would be great.

(Yep, I'm gonna start googeling & such, just
wondering if anyone here has info too.)

Thanks,
Gary

bb

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:55:50 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Ok, so after months of looking for the right person

http://www.championtrailers.com/index.html

bb

bb

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:15:25 -0400, "Ronald A. Widman"
wrote:

This is a good place to shop. They are fast and seem to know what they are
doing. I just received my latest order from them today.

Ron

I ordered hubs, bearing and seals from them and was happy with the
results.

bb