Calif Bill

Default trailer bearings more info.

The different grease will probably be no problem, but I would pull the
bearings and repack anyway. Should be done every year, even with bearing
buddies. That way you can check the condition and help prevent bad events
from maring a trip.
Bill

"Fred" wrote in message
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to answer the questions to give
you more to go on.

I'd ask some more questions before I gave advice on replacing the

bearings.
Like how old is the trailer?

four years old

Where did the previous owner use it?
short trips to put in

How
often was the trailer and boat used.

boat has 115 hours on it

How many axles on the trailer?
tandem axel

How
big is the boat?

20 foot Celebrity

Was it used in fresh water or salt water?
fresh water

Thanks.

All he asked was if he was going to have a problem because of the grease

he
used. And all of you tell him to replace the bearings.

Tom

Default trailer bearings

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:41:04 -0500, "Fred" wrote:

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I noticed that the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the label it said not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease was used before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and what do you
recommend I do? Thanks

Fred,
The bases of many greases are not compatible with other greases
and can cause a breakdown of the lubricating qualities and premature
failure. You should remove the hubs and flush out all the grease with
a good solvent and re-grease with your choice of wheel bearing grease.
You can take this opportunity to inspect the bearings for pending
failure (look closely for signs of brinnelling or corrosion) but you
can not always see signs that a bearing is close to failing so I would
agree with Harry and replace with good quality (not Chinese) bearings
- NTN-Bower-Timken. This will at least let you know you are starting
out with new, quality bearings which will last you for years if
properly maintained. The cost is minimal compared to shearing a
spindle and spending several hours on Sunday afternoon on the side of
the road guarding your boat while someone tries to round up a new
spindle, bearings, seals and someone to weld the new spindle on etc.
Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Fred

I would like to thank everyone for all there help and suggestions. I
decided the best thing to do was to have my boat dealer repack and inspect
all bearings. As the season is almost over here, I decided to also
winterize and prepare the boat for storage. The dealer suggested I may want
to change my water pump impeller. The engine ran great and the water temp.
was normal. Do you think I should change it? The boat is three years old
with 115 hours on engine. Thanks

[...]

Harry Krause

Fred wrote:
[...]

Three seasons is about right for changing the impeller, especially if
the motor has not been operated in shallow, sandy waters, as inshore
fishermen often run their motors.

Is your dealer going to install Bearing Buddies or something similar on
your trailer bearings? They're cheap, and they'll let you keep your
bearings packed with grease. Have someone show you how to fill the
Bearing Buddies so you don't blow out the seals on your trailer axles.
It's a one-minute lesson.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Harry Krause

Fred wrote:

Bearing buddies will be installed. What is the proper way to fill them. I
thought you just pump in grease until the indicator shows full.

Three seasons is about right for changing the impeller, especially if
the motor has not been operated in shallow, sandy waters, as inshore
fishermen often run their motors.

Is your dealer going to install Bearing Buddies or something similar on
your trailer bearings? They're cheap, and they'll let you keep your
bearings packed with grease. Have someone show you how to fill the
Bearing Buddies so you don't blow out the seals on your trailer axles.
It's a one-minute lesson.

Email sent to will never reach me.

No...you have to be careful and not overfill, because you can blow out
the seals on the opposite side of the bearing.

Email sent to
will never reach me.