Fred

Default trailer bearings

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I noticed that the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the label it said not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease was used before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and what do you
recommend I do? Thanks

Harry Krause

Fred wrote:

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I noticed that the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the label it said not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease was used before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and what do you
recommend I do? Thanks

Regardless of the grease problem, the best thing you can do with a used
trailer is pull the bearings, toss them, and replace them with new
bearings. All it takes is a few bucks and modest mechanical skills.

Why take a chance?

Email sent to will never reach me.

Lawrence James

You di that with every car you buy? Same bearings, a lot less use. Nothing
wrong with pulling the wheels and inspecting the bearings. If they are bad,
and it's pretty obvious when they are then replace them. You won't hurt
anything if the grease you added was wheel bearing grease.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I noticed that the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the label it said

not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease was used

before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and what do you
recommend I do? Thanks

Regardless of the grease problem, the best thing you can do with a used
trailer is pull the bearings, toss them, and replace them with new
bearings. All it takes is a few bucks and modest mechanical skills.

Why take a chance?

Email sent to will never reach me.

Harry Krause

Fred wrote:

I bought a used boat and trailer, and before towing I noticed that the
bearings needed grease. I bought the blue grease. On the label it said

not
to mix with other grease. Not knowing what kind of grease was used

before,
I added the blue. What kind of damage may be caused, and what do you
recommend I do? Thanks

Regardless of the grease problem, the best thing you can do with a used
trailer is pull the bearings, toss them, and replace them with new
bearings. All it takes is a few bucks and modest mechanical skills.

Why take a chance?

I usually don't back my car into salt water over the hubs and then let
it sit in the parking lot for eight hours or more while I go
boat-riding. Nor do I subject my car to the kinds of abuse the typical
boat trailer sees.

New trailer wheel bearings are a small investment that help assure safe
operation.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Jack Rye

Besides it's a lot cheaper to replace the trailer bearings than a hub that's
been ruined. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that you won't freeze
a bearing going to the ramp.
Jack

Fred wrote:

[...]

Lawrence James

It is extremely easy to tell if a bearing is bad or not with a visual
inspection. I don't replace good parts. You don't even know how old the
trailer is, how much it was used, or if it even was used in salt water. You
just offhanded recommend replacement with no other info about the situation.
Does that sound like well thought out good advice to you?

Fred wrote:

[...]

Harry Krause

Lawrence James wrote:

It is extremely easy to tell if a bearing is bad or not with a visual
inspection. I don't replace good parts. You don't even know how old the
trailer is, how much it was used, or if it even was used in salt water. You
just offhanded recommend replacement with no other info about the situation.
Does that sound like well thought out good advice to you?

Sure. Trailer bearings are cheap, and relatively easy to replace in a
short amount of time. What's the harm?

Email sent to will never reach me.

Jack Rye

Well I bought a used 6 wheeled trailer 9 years ago. I pulled the wheels and
checked the bearings. Even repacked them. Checked the grease seals. On the
way home I had a bearing freeze. Thankfully I didn't have a load on the
trailer. After two days I was able to get back and replace all the bearings,
grease seals, and the spindle that was ruined. I haven't had a problem
since. We still load the trailer up to the max 10,000 lbs. every week. What
it really comes down to. Was the trailer maintained properly.

Jack
nk.net...

Fred wrote:

[...]

Lawrence James

You pulled all 6 wheels and inspected the inner and outer bearings on all of
them? Then repacked all of them? Pardon my scepticism but it would be
pretty odd for a wheel bearing to go from passing a visual inspection to
locking up a wheel in one trip.

Fred wrote:

[...]

Jack Rye

A bad wheel bearing will typically make grinding, whining or squealing
noises, and you can often feel the looseness or roughness if you raise the
suspension and rotate the wheel by hand. I felt nothing before or after
repacking the bearings.
Your guess is as good as mine. I maintain all my vehicles. What others call
or do maintenance is just a guess. You are taking them on their word.
Boat trailer bearings are subject to possible water intrusion each and every
time they are in contact with the water. Water is the main cause of bearing
failure. Therefore, it is imperative to protect these bearings. One should
remove your wheels and inspect your bearings and seals on an annual basis.
Most don't they just give-em a squirt of grease.