Rod McInnis

Default trailer bearings

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
nk.net...
It is extremely easy to tell if a bearing is bad or not with a visual
inspection.

You may have the experience, expertise and critical eye to be able to
inspect a bearing and determin if it is okay or not. Not everyone can.

If you are driving down the road, and hear a growling rumble that goes away
when the car stops moving, you might suspect that a bearing has failed. A
failed brearing is pretty easy to spot. You pull the hubs, take a look at
the races, the one that was making all the noise is easy to spot.

If you had pulled the hub off 100 miles earlier and looked at that bearing,
it would not be so easy to spot that it was about to fail.

I don't replace good parts. You don't even know how old the
trailer is, how much it was used, or if it even was used in salt water.

You
just offhanded recommend replacement with no other info about the

situation.
Does that sound like well thought out good advice to you?

Sounds like good advice to me. If the guy who was originally asked the
question was as much of an expert as you are, then he probably wouldn't have
asked the question in the first place. Assuming that he does not have your
level of expertise, then just routinely changing the bearings on a trailer
of unknown history is a good idea.

Rod McInnis