Joe

Default Tow vehicle opinions - Ford 4.0L V6

"Bruce" wrote in message
. com...
Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

Consider yourself a lucky man.

del cecchi

"Alan" wrote in message
Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

I tow a Lund 1775 ProVee with 115 with the 4L Explorer. Not long
distances but it seems to work fine. Probably about 3000 lb with the
trailer and miscellaneous.

del

Calif Bill

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

May want to take a look at a V8 Grand Cherokee.

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Gary" wrote in message news:3f134066@shknews01...
Man you have a 400 mile tow with a 4000lb boat? ... don't even

consider
V6 - stay with a V8 that has a tow package.
Gary

"Alan" wrote in message
Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

My 1997 Merc. Mountaineer (Ford Explorer twin) is approaching 150K
miles and it's starting to cost me money. Nothing big but it's an
excuse to consider replacing the truck. I frequently tow my boat

400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to

get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

I'm thinking of an Explorer (2002 or newer). The problem is that

most
come with the V6, Finding one with the 4.6L V8 is pretty tough.

The
Explorer with a V6 and 3.73 gears is rated at 5400# so it should do
the job, but I'm accustomed to the V8 and a bit leery of the

smaller
engine.

What say you? Do you think the 4.0L will pull the boat OK?

Thanks

Alan Hannas

No offense, but the Chrysler Jeep products are at the bottom of the
quality heap.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

With that kind of luck and the jeep tranny, buy lottery tickets.
Bill

Calif Bill

It is not just the engine, it is the drive train. The V8's have stronger
ones. Used to tow my 4400# rig with a '96 S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4. The motor
did the job except in the high mountains. 4000'+. Just lacked the cubes.
But broke a rear differential, and lost the differential crush bearing a
year before.
Bill

Man you have a 400 mile tow with a 4000lb boat? ... don't even consider a

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Rich Stern

Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

Yup.

The 4.0 is a good motor for towing. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with the 4.0L
SOHC with the 4.10 gearing. I tow a bass boat (2000lbs) and occassionally, a
22' pontoon boat (about 3300lbs).

Honestly, if I were towing 4000 lbs. on a regular round trip, I'd want a
Supercrew or an Expedition with at least the 4.6, if not the 5.4. If an
Explorer is your vehicle of choice, see if you can find one with the 4.6 V8.
They are definitely around.

If you do wind up with the V6, there are several performance modifications that
can net 20 to 25 additional hp if you are willing to run premium fuel. Cost is
around $1000.

I evaluated the 2002 Explorer about eighteen months ago. Great riding vehicle.
Huge upgrade from the handling and ride quality of your current Mountaineer.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

gatt

"Alan" wrote in message

I'm thinking of an Explorer (2002 or newer). The problem is that most
come with the V6, Finding one with the 4.6L V8 is pretty tough. The
Explorer with a V6 and 3.73 gears is rated at 5400# so it should do
the job, but I'm accustomed to the V8 and a bit leery of the smaller
engine.

What say you? Do you think the 4.0L will pull the boat OK?

Depends on whether you're hauling a cruiser or a canoe.

A friend of mine towed his 2,800lb 16.5' runabout really easily with a 2000
Exploder 4L on Sunday. The trick is to make sure it's 4WD in case the ramp
is slippery, 'cause we got rid of my wife's 4.3L Chevy PU because it was
2WD, slipped a lot at the ramp, and between that and the manual transmission
pulling out was somewhere between a pain in the ass and scary.

A transmission cooler is a good bet too.

-c

gatt

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

No offense, but the Chrysler Jeep products are at the bottom of the
quality heap.

Beg pardon.

I have one of the first '97 TJ Wranglers built. It's a 4-banger with
140,000 miles on it, it's been tipped over, driven through door-deep mud,
smashed up against rocks and everything, been used as both a commuter and a
hardcore offroader, and it has never been into a repair shop outside of the
old 30,000 mile warrantee. It ain't for sale.

Everybody told me to avoid Jeeps because they suck, but mine has not failed
me at all except once when the oil pressure sending unit broke off. $30
fix. I broke the front U-joint once bouncing across a boulder and tore out
the rear brake line climbing a dry waterfall. Replaced the radiator after
realizing I hadn't flushed it in over 120,000 miles. So in 140,000 miles
I've put about $300 into it in non-routine maintenance and repair.

I love my jeep and it's by far the most reliable and satisfactory vehicle
I've ever owned. The only vehicle I would possibly consider trading it in
for is the new Rubicon uber-jeep.

-gatt

gatt

"noah" wrote in message

Don't expect as much power as the 5.0L, but you'll get better mileage.
noah

I tow with a Ford Econoline van w/ the 5.0L. Does the job and stays cool
even with the AC on, but it sucks going up hills. Maybe it's just the
gearing?

-c

noah

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:35:02 GMT, "gatt" wrote:

"noah" wrote in message

Don't expect as much power as the 5.0L, but you'll get better mileage.
noah

I tow with a Ford Econoline van w/ the 5.0L. Does the job and stays cool
even with the AC on, but it sucks going up hills. Maybe it's just the
gearing?

-c

....gotta' remember that the 5.0L is still "just" a 302c.i. It's a
good engine, but it's not a "big block". The gearing will make a
difference, but it's not a big horsepower engine. If it does the job
for you, be happy. )
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats