Michael Seeley

Default Tow vehicle opinions - Ford 4.0L V6

I Agree. I tow a '95 Celebrity 210 with a '95 Explorer (4.0, 155k miles)
Total weight with trailer was 4572 (had it weighed) you'd apreciate the V-8,
but it has never needed any work and still doesn't have any oil burn or
tranny issues
"Rich Stern" wrote in message
Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

Yup.

The 4.0 is a good motor for towing. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with the

4.0L
SOHC with the 4.10 gearing. I tow a bass boat (2000lbs) and

occassionally, a
22' pontoon boat (about 3300lbs).

Honestly, if I were towing 4000 lbs. on a regular round trip, I'd want a
Supercrew or an Expedition with at least the 4.6, if not the 5.4. If an
Explorer is your vehicle of choice, see if you can find one with the 4.6

V8.
They are definitely around.

If you do wind up with the V6, there are several performance modifications

that
can net 20 to 25 additional hp if you are willing to run premium fuel.

Cost is
around $1000.

I evaluated the 2002 Explorer about eighteen months ago. Great riding

vehicle.
Huge upgrade from the handling and ride quality of your current

Mountaineer.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Jim

Alan,

I'm surprised that no one has suggested it, but have you
considered finding a place by that lake to store your boat?
Not to talk you out of buying that new truck you want... but
regardless of your decision to tow that distance on a regular
basis, I would think it would be much easier on you too! If
that lake is a popular recreation type area, I bet there are places
around there where folks probably already do that with boats and
RV's. My brother did this a few years back at the coast in SC.
Rather than tow his RV, he made arrangements with someone there
to leave it on their property when he left. Whenever he went
back, he only needed to hook up and tow a few miles to the
campground. If you feel comfortable with that area that no one
will help themselves to parts while you're gone, or can remove
any valuable equipment and take it with you when you leave, it
might be something to seriously consider. As far as a secured
storage area is concerned, that may or may not work as you may
not have access when you want it. Food for thought anyway...

-Jim

Alan wrote:
snipped I frequently tow my boat 400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

Alan

Default Tow vehicls - THANKS FOR THE ADVISE

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:05:28 GMT, Alan
wrote:

Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

snip

ALCON,

Thanks for all the helpful responses; I appreciate your taking the
time. I've been reading up on this and have decided to find a V8. I
believe the 4.0L V6 has the guts to do the job but I've become
accostomed to the extra power and the mpg difference is minor.

I'll stick with the Ford. When the new GM Trailblazer/Envoy came out
I got really excited about them but on closer examination I lost
interest. They seem to be getting panned in much of the literature.
I've had two experiences with Chrysler Corp, in the 1970's, both of
them proved painful. True, that was a long time ago but my opinion
has never changed - Chrysler leads the industry in innovation but
trails the others in QA.

I went to the local Ford dealer yeterday. Of the 10 explorers on the
lot only one had the V8 but the salesman said thee are plenty of them
around and he can quickly find me one on a dealer trade. Perhaps I'll
just wait until October and look for a clean 02 train-in or off-lease.

Jim's suggestion to store the boat at the lake is a good one, but I
already have a place on the lake with a dock and a lift. The problem
is that I want to use the boat at home too and couldnt stand the
seperation anxiety.

Alan Hannas
barrythedude

I have towed a 2400lb trailer AND a 1800 boat and trailer behind my 95
exploer with no probs, same as my 1989 wagoneer with the 4.0 ltr
straight 6. It is more of a chore, but you dont need a v8

Alan wrote:
snipped I frequently tow my boat 400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

Ronald A. Widman

I'd say you should go with the V8. In any case make sure it has the factory
tow package. Also, limited slip rear for recovery at the ramps.

Ron

"Alan" wrote in message
Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

My 1997 Merc. Mountaineer (Ford Explorer twin) is approaching 150K
miles and it's starting to cost me money. Nothing big but it's an
excuse to consider replacing the truck. I frequently tow my boat 400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

I'm thinking of an Explorer (2002 or newer). The problem is that most
come with the V6, Finding one with the 4.6L V8 is pretty tough. The
Explorer with a V6 and 3.73 gears is rated at 5400# so it should do
the job, but I'm accustomed to the V8 and a bit leery of the smaller
engine.

What say you? Do you think the 4.0L will pull the boat OK?

Thanks

Alan Hannas

basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"Bruce" wrote in message
. com...
Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

Consider yourself a lucky man.

I'm on my second Jeep Cherokee, with 199,000 on it. My first had
195,000, and I wished I'd have kept it. I know many, many people with
the 4.0 liter 6 cyl. that have close to 200,000 miles and no troubles.
The one with 199,000 needed a radiator at 187,000.
basskisser

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

May want to take a look at a V8 Grand Cherokee.

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Gary" wrote in message news:3f134066@shknews01...
Man you have a 400 mile tow with a 4000lb boat? ... don't even

consider
V6 - stay with a V8 that has a tow package.
Gary

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

No offense, but the Chrysler Jeep products are at the bottom of the
quality heap.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

With that kind of luck and the jeep tranny, buy lottery tickets.
Bill

You don't know **** about Jeeps.
Calif Bill

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

I know their auto tranny's are ****. They burn oil under normal operating
conditions, and most spend an inordinate time in the shop for running gear
and overheat problems. Typical Mopar. To small of radiator and brakes.
Bill

Joe

Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

Consider yourself a lucky man.

I'm on my second Jeep Cherokee, with 199,000 on it. My first had
195,000, and I wished I'd have kept it. I know many, many people with
the 4.0 liter 6 cyl. that have close to 200,000 miles and no troubles.
The one with 199,000 needed a radiator at 187,000.

Let me guess, none of them have ever burned any oil.

Right?

Joe

Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

Consider yourself a lucky man.

I'm on my second Jeep Cherokee, with 199,000 on it. My first had
195,000, and I wished I'd have kept it. I know many, many people with
the 4.0 liter 6 cyl. that have close to 200,000 miles and no troubles.
The one with 199,000 needed a radiator at 187,000.

More proof that you are a lying sack of ****
A year ago you had 240,000 miles on it.

http://tinyurl.com/jqg9