Alan

Default Tow vehicle opinions - Ford 4.0L V6

Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

My 1997 Merc. Mountaineer (Ford Explorer twin) is approaching 150K
miles and it's starting to cost me money. Nothing big but it's an
excuse to consider replacing the truck. I frequently tow my boat 400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

I'm thinking of an Explorer (2002 or newer). The problem is that most
come with the V6, Finding one with the 4.6L V8 is pretty tough. The
Explorer with a V6 and 3.73 gears is rated at 5400# so it should do
the job, but I'm accustomed to the V8 and a bit leery of the smaller
engine.

What say you? Do you think the 4.0L will pull the boat OK?

Thanks

Alan Hannas

Harry Krause

Alan wrote:
[...]

If no more than 4000 pounds, you'll be fine, even going uphills. If
closer to your truck's tow limit, you'll struggle. Make sure you have an
oil and transmission cooloer on the Explorer.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Bruce

May want to take a look at a V8 Grand Cherokee.

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Harry Krause

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

No offense, but the Chrysler Jeep products are at the bottom of the
quality heap.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Elliott Stage

I pull my Four Winns with a Chevy Astro Van. V6 4.3L.
The boat is max 4000# with trailer and I find it marginal
as a tow vehicle. Went through a transmission at 4000 mi.

I am going back to a small V8 probably the new 4 Runner V8.
There is not enough torque in the V6s unless you like 30 mph
hill climbs and 1st gear in mountain roads when there is a small
steep part (about like a launch ramp) and speed is low,
15 to 20 mph.

I could not recommend a V6 for towing that weight. It is a great
engine format when the vehicle is not towing though.

Elliott

Alan wrote:

[...]

noah

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:05:28 GMT, Alan
wrote:

[...]

The 4.0L V6 is a tough engine. My Aerostar has a tow rating over 6000
lbs. (My camper's 2800 and my boat is 2700). With a proper tow
package and rating, you'll be OK.

Don't expect as much power as the 5.0L, but you'll get better mileage.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Larry

Towing that far I would stick with the V8. Just because the rating is
5400 doesn't mean it will be fun, especially on the hills. Good rule of
thumb is 80% of the two rating, which brings it down to around 4300 pounds.

Towed a Coleman camper with a Dodge van and the 318 across country...the
minimum I would ever use for towing would be a V8.

Larry

Harry Krause wrote:

Alan wrote:

[...]

Bruce

Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Trainfan1

"Bruce" wrote in message
. com...
Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

Because you have the American Rambler based I-6.

Rob
*
*
*