Calif Bill

Default Tow vehicle opinions - Ford 4.0L V6

"Bruce" wrote in message
. com...
Then howcome i have 125000 miles on my 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with the
straight 6, and often tow a 6500lb boat with not one problem yet?

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

May want to take a look at a V8 Grand Cherokee.

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"Gary" wrote in message news:3f134066@shknews01...
Man you have a 400 mile tow with a 4000lb boat? ... don't even

consider
V6 - stay with a V8 that has a tow package.
Gary

"Alan" wrote in message
Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

My 1997 Merc. Mountaineer (Ford Explorer twin) is approaching 150K
miles and it's starting to cost me money. Nothing big but it's an
excuse to consider replacing the truck. I frequently tow my boat

400
miles to a lake in VA, often coming home on Sunday afternoons. A
breakdown along I81 would be a real mess so It's probably time to

get
something newer. The truck has a 5.0L V8 and has done a great job
towing my rig (about 4000# incl. trailer)

I'm thinking of an Explorer (2002 or newer). The problem is that

most
come with the V6, Finding one with the 4.6L V8 is pretty tough.

The
Explorer with a V6 and 3.73 gears is rated at 5400# so it should do
the job, but I'm accustomed to the V8 and a bit leery of the

smaller
engine.

What say you? Do you think the 4.0L will pull the boat OK?

Thanks

Alan Hannas

No offense, but the Chrysler Jeep products are at the bottom of the
quality heap.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

With that kind of luck and the jeep tranny, buy lottery tickets.
Bill