Rich Stern

Default Tow vehicle opinions - Ford 4.0L V6

Does anyone out there tow with a 4.0L Ford? I'd appreciate your
thoughts on this engine?

Yup.

The 4.0 is a good motor for towing. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with the 4.0L
SOHC with the 4.10 gearing. I tow a bass boat (2000lbs) and occassionally, a
22' pontoon boat (about 3300lbs).

Honestly, if I were towing 4000 lbs. on a regular round trip, I'd want a
Supercrew or an Expedition with at least the 4.6, if not the 5.4. If an
Explorer is your vehicle of choice, see if you can find one with the 4.6 V8.
They are definitely around.

If you do wind up with the V6, there are several performance modifications that
can net 20 to 25 additional hp if you are willing to run premium fuel. Cost is
around $1000.

I evaluated the 2002 Explorer about eighteen months ago. Great riding vehicle.
Huge upgrade from the handling and ride quality of your current Mountaineer.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database