RickPB

Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

Don't be too paranoid about factory ratings. I installed Thule racks on my
subaru wagon and they are rated at about 150 lb and I have often hauled 4 boats
that weighed roughly 250 lb total. Think about it . That is about the weight
of one large person. Could your racks and roof hold you up?
Rick
Brian Nystrom

RickPB wrote:

Don't be too paranoid about factory ratings. I installed Thule racks on my
subaru wagon and they are rated at about 150 lb and I have often hauled 4 boats
that weighed roughly 250 lb total. Think about it . That is about the weight
of one large person. Could your racks and roof hold you up?

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

--
Regards

Brian

RickPB

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind
created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

Regards

Brian

Good point, I was just thinking about gross weight. But I still think that
factory ratings are a bit "overly cautious". I keep a close eye on my roof and
haven't had a problem even after cruising at 75 mph carrying a canoe and two
kayaks. And I've been doing it for 5 years now with this set up. Also wind
shear should be minimized by good ropes in a V to the front and rear tie downs.
Rick

SherriT

Thanks for all of the advice. I did find a solution to my problem. We
traded in our other vehicle for a Chevy Blazer that can carry the
kayaks. We plan to use the kayaks a lot and wanted something
reliable. Most of the places we will be going paddling are 45 minutes
to 2 hours away, so two trips would not quite work. I considered just
trying the Santa Fe to bring them home, but with my luck I'd ruin both
my car and the kayaks (yup, I'm a bit of a chicken). Thanks again, see
you out there paddling.
Brian Nystrom

RickPB wrote:

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind
created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

Regards

Brian

Good point, I was just thinking about gross weight. But I still think that
factory ratings are a bit "overly cautious". I keep a close eye on my roof and
haven't had a problem even after cruising at 75 mph carrying a canoe and two
kayaks. And I've been doing it for 5 years now with this set up. Also wind
shear should be minimized by good ropes in a V to the front and rear tie downs.
Rick

True. One other thing to consider is that the weight rating is also likely the
maximun load that the rack will support without damage to the sheet metal of the
roof. The vehicle's structure must be much stronger than that, but there are no
minimum standards for resistance to cosmetic damage.

--
Regards

Brian

Brian Nystrom

SherriT wrote:

We plan to use the kayaks a lot and wanted something
reliable.

So you bought a Chevy??? ;-)

--
Regards