Brian Nystrom

Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

RickPB wrote:

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind
created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

Regards

Brian

Good point, I was just thinking about gross weight. But I still think that
factory ratings are a bit "overly cautious". I keep a close eye on my roof and
haven't had a problem even after cruising at 75 mph carrying a canoe and two
kayaks. And I've been doing it for 5 years now with this set up. Also wind
shear should be minimized by good ropes in a V to the front and rear tie downs.
Rick

True. One other thing to consider is that the weight rating is also likely the
maximun load that the rack will support without damage to the sheet metal of the
roof. The vehicle's structure must be much stronger than that, but there are no
minimum standards for resistance to cosmetic damage.

--
Regards

Brian