Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

On 29 Aug 2003 15:10:30 -0700, (SherriT) wrote:

I have a Sante Fe with factory installed racks. The weight limit is
75lbs. Even if I get a Thule or Yakima kit and J-Racks, the weight
limit is 75 lbs. We just bought two Heritage Sea Darts, each weighing
58 lbs. We are approx 45lbs over the limit.

Any ideas for options? We need to get these home.

If you are close to home, you can make two trips. For long term
options, I can only think of two. Both Yakima and Thule make
attachments that you can use, but the weight limit is still the
factory rack 75 pounds, so they are out. If you have a hitch, or can
get one installed, then use a trailer! You can get trailers in
various capacities from one to 10+ kayaks. Loading is actually easier
because it is so low. Your other possible option is to remove your
factory rack completely, then use foam blocks to carry the kayaks next
to each other. CHECK WITH HYUNDAI BEFORE DOING THIS - TOO MUCH WEIGHT
ON A BARE ROOF CAN DEFORM OR DAMAGE THE ROOF!! Good luck.
Dan