Brian Nystrom

Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

RickPB wrote:

Don't be too paranoid about factory ratings. I installed Thule racks on my
subaru wagon and they are rated at about 150 lb and I have often hauled 4 boats
that weighed roughly 250 lb total. Think about it . That is about the weight
of one large person. Could your racks and roof hold you up?

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

--
Regards

Brian