Mary Malmros

Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

(RickPB) writes:

Thats a bad analogy. Kayaks, especially long sea kayaks impose large wind
created
torque and shear stresses on a rack. Luggage (or bodies) carried within the
confines of the rack don't.

Regards

Brian

Good point, I was just thinking about gross weight. But I still think that
factory ratings are a bit "overly cautious".

They're conservative, as I stated in my post. But how are you going
to know where the line is? Load it up until it breaks? I don't
recommend that.

I keep a close eye on my roof and
haven't had a problem even after cruising at 75 mph carrying a canoe and two
kayaks. And I've been doing it for 5 years now with this set up.

Well, I do this too, but I do it with a Yakima rack that's rated at
150 pounds. I really would not try it with a factory rack rated at
75 pounds. You did it, and you got away with it. But do you really
feel safe in saying that _any_ 75-lb-rated factory rack can carry
that load?

--
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,