Mary Malmros

Default Need ideas for carrying kayaks on a Hyundai Santa Fe

(SherriT) writes:

I have a Sante Fe with factory installed racks. The weight limit is
75lbs. Even if I get a Thule or Yakima kit and J-Racks, the weight
limit is 75 lbs. We just bought two Heritage Sea Darts, each weighing
58 lbs. We are approx 45lbs over the limit.

Any ideas for options? We need to get these home.

As Mom used to say, make two trips.

Ratings like that aren't the absolute limit. They're a number that
the manufacturer is willing to stake their reputation and bank
account on -- IOW, a number that they're pretty damn sure is safe.
Sometimes, they guess wrong, and the thing being rated fails at a
lower rating, but usually it's a conservative rating. The problem
is that a)you can't know if that's true in this case, and b)you
can't know what the cutoff is when the heavy objects are also long
objects with lots of wind drag at highway speeds.

Soooo...if you want to haul those boats on a regular basis, and I
sure hope you do, I'd look at removing that factory rack and
installing a Yakima or Thule direct to your car roof.

--
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.