Default Why gas is $5.00/gal

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

Let's not forget that they are entitled to make a profit no matter how
miserable the economy might be. Their costs are going up, way up.
Our cost will go up also. The dollar continues to depreciate.
That's a result of our fiscal policies and upside down balance of
payments. A strong dollar would result in cheaper oil, and that is
what we've been used to in the past.

That's what, the fourth excuse Wayne has come up with the justify the
rape of Americans by the oil companies.

Your inability to comprehend basic business concepts is sad, very sad.

I hope your twin diesels run on french fry oil.

BAR wrote:
In ,
says...
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:25:30 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:41:35 -0400, Gene
wrote:

Holding a big inventory of oil in your tank farm is not without risk
and it takes massive investments in time and money to build the
infrastructure. Not surprisingly, the people who make those
investments expect to earn a profit once in a while.
"A profit once in a while.....?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/business/01oil.html
http://www.grist.org/article/2010-04...ution-while-am
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/29/news...xxon/index.htm
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...anies/profits/

The oil companies and speculators are almost single-handedly
preventing an economic recovery.... and they are being paid handsomely
to do so..... and you are DEFENDING that?

Incredible.....
It's a very cyclical business and no one feels sorry for Exxon when
they have stagnant growth, or even worse, when they fail to discover
enough new oil to replace what they sold. Unfortunately that is what
is happening. It is probably reasonable to assume that as their
exploration and acquisition costs go up, and as their reserves go
down, they will want a higher price for the product.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own stock in both Exxon and
Chevron-Texaco. Their annual reports make interesting reading and
the future for energy prices is not good.

Somehow, you are missing the reality that when Exxon loses money, the
stockholders are ****ed..... when Exxon continues to make record
profits in an otherwise miserable economy, they are sticking it to all
of the users of gasoline.... one way or the other, the entire
American population.... and to the entire American economy....

Don't buy their products if you don't like the way they do business.

It must be nice to go through life uneducated and simpleminded, as you
obviously are.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

Corporations are not, like any individual, entitled to commit treason
with impunity.... no matter how important profit is, to some self
centered investors...

How unAmerican of you, Gene! :)
Don't you believe in corporations über alles?

I believe we need to "restructure" certain aspects of our society, and
part of that restructuring should be how we handle leases to explore and
drill for oil and natural gas.

There's nothing sacred about for-profit corporations. That model isn't
working anymore for us. It's milking the middle class dry and
accelerating the transfer of wealth to the very rich.

There are any number of oil-producing countries in which ownership of
that asset is retained by the state, and the revenues used to finance
the government. The problem here is that Americans have been brainwashed
into thinking the price-fixing, for-profit private sector that dominates
the energy business is the only way to do that sort of business.

This collectivization thing was tried before and it failed miserable.
Also, government control of all industry has failed miserable too.

BAR wrote:
In articleHs6dnccI4r3x1yjQnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
[...]

Again, lack of education and deficits in your knowledge base of "current
events" have done you in. As I stated, "There are any number of
oil-producing countries in which ownership of that asset is retained by
the state, and the revenues used to finance the government."

I'm not talking about the failed Communist states here, Bertie. But you
think I am.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

BAR wrote:
In article8tqdned7uv_i2ynQnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
Wayne B wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:36:48 -0400, Gene
wrote:

uh no. it's speculators. they caused a similar run up under the white
guy who preceded the guy you hate because he's black
Damn speculators.

Why aren't more people doing it? Let's go halves on a tanker load and
resell it on EBAY. Anybody else want in on the deal? We're going to
need a dock, tank farm, distribution network, trucks, pipelines and a
whole sh*t load of permits. With some help from Wall Street we can
probably get 90 day financing.
Sorry, you are too late..... the guys that already had all of that are
reaping all the profits...... re-read that thing about frugality....
proactiveness is number one.....
Holding a big inventory of oil in your tank farm is not without risk
and it takes massive investments in time and money to build the
infrastructure. Not surprisingly, the people who make those
investments expect to earn a profit once in a while.

I haven't seen anyone suggesting earning a profit is illegal or immoral.
Questions arise when those profits become synonymous with rip-off, and
that's what the petrol industry is doing, ripping us off.

Where do you draw the line? When do profits become synonymous with rip-
off?

In regard to these big oil companies, I believe we crossed that line
years ago.

Further, there are so many ways to cook the books, so to speak, in
oil company bookkeeping, there's really no legitimate way to determine
what their real "profits" are. That's true, of course, with many larger
corporations, and their abilities to avoid paying taxes.

They must have finally learned from the Union bookkeepers. How to raid a
union pension fund and strike fund without going to jail.

I'm beginning to believe we ought to get out of the business of giving
away our oil and gas via cheap leases so the oil companies can turn
around and rape us. There are other ways to "produce" the goods so that
the ownership and profits are there to benefit the country and its
citizens.

Beyond cheap leases? Economics is beyond your ability to comprehend.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

8% Profit for 2010.
6.2% Profile for 2009.

Doesn't seem out of line to me.

Please...if you believe those are "real" numbers, perhaps you'd like to
buy shares in a bridge in Brooklyn.

They are from a simple calculation of numbers presented in an NYT
article.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

wrote:

[...]

You claim you do not shop at WalMart. I assume that you can apply that
discipline to other areas of your life.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

BAR wrote:
[...]

Yeah right. Where is the line Harry, where is the line of good
corporations and bad corporations? When does a corporation go from being
a bad corporation to being a good lackey of the government?

I'm not talking about the failed Communist states here, Bertie. But you
think I am.

Shouldn't the government be running all farming? Shouldn't the
government be running al agriculture? What about fishing? Should we be
paying mother nature in whatever currency she wants to take her bounty?