Default Starting a boat related business

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:49:44 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:29:01 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:58:07 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:25:27 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:06:44 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:58:16 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Gene" wrote in message
news:773eg5tjb1i7kpd7mdrn5lpgntgads5a46@4ax. com...
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:47:44 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Here is a thought experiment. Start a business on less than $5000.
It has been said that to enjoy your work and be successful, you should
go into a business you enjoy. Well, we are all boaters here,
so............
How often do you go to boat ramps and see 50 boat trailers sitting
empty the whole day while the boats are on the water? How many of
those trailers need to have their hubs re-packed? How many have
malfunctioning lights?
Get an old truck (already have one) and tools and grease and such and
go to the ramp at first light. As people get in line to launch offer
to repack their hubs while the trailer sits there. Offer to repair
trailer lights while it sits there. You would have to do this by
credit card cuz most people will not have $50 on them but that is ok.
You might be able to fix trailer brakes while you are there.

I know where there was a large panel van set up to do just this. Owner
couldn't make it and the unit was put up for sale. That was in
Wilmington, NC.... it might make some beer money, but don't quit your
day job....

If it were to be done RIGHT, one would have to comply with so many laws that
it would be cost prohibitive. You would need to carry several million in
liability alone. And then, either Fish and Game or Coast Guard would come
into the picture. It is a microcosm of what's wrong with this country.
There's a need. There's a guy that wants to work. But there's all these
agencies and laws in the middle. It's so discouraging. So, what does a guy
do? He goes black market, working from a van, and doing things for cash.
Then the unthinkable happens, and someone gets hurt or worse. Well, the guy
probably doesn't have much to sue for, but even a poor schmuck can be raked
over the coals by a bottomfeeding lawyer.

Steve

Actually, you are headed in the wrong direction.... most people won't
fix a trailer until it breaks. In fact I've seen one actually break in
the middle and dump the boat on the ground between the two halves.

There actually would be more work to do if the laws were strictly
enforced.... but then the laws are kinda stupid to begin with.

It ain't that simple...

Virginia mandates an annual trailer inspection and display of a
sticker indicating such. The only things inspected on mine are the
tires and the lights. Still costs $12 for three minutes work.

In NC, that would be the case for a trailer rated at 4,000# or less.
Over 4,000# and they have to check the brake system. I think at
10,001# the law reverts to a required Federal DOT inspection... just
like it was an 18-wheeler trailer.

Add to this all of the ever changing requirements for reflectors and
lights. Just like your boat, it may not have come from the factory
lighted in accordance with existing or future laws.

Here this law is not enforced because they don't have a way to mandate
the existence of inspection stations. Locally, I haven't been able to
locate ANY inspection station that will inspect a trailer, regardless
of published materials to the contrary. It is difficult enough to find
somebody to do a motorcycle....

Here the brake system must be checked if the trailer is so equipped.
The same stations that inspect autos will inspect trailers, and
motorcycles. Although I was once told they couldn't inspect my
motorcycle because they didn't have any motorcycle stickers, which are
a smaller version of the auto sticker. Unless the inspector is a
motorcyclist, he usually does a ****ty job of inspection.

Your laws are weirder than ours. If the "actual gross weight" is 3,000
pounds or more, it is required to have brakes and is required to be
inspected. (The "actual gross weight" is the weight of the trailer
plus the weight of any load that the trailer is carrying.) If the
"actual gross weight" is less than 3,000 pounds, it is not required to
be inspected; however, any trailer under 3,000 that is equipped with
brakes is also required to be inspected.

I hope you have brakes......

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#FAQSafety

Nope. No brakes on the trailer. But my boat is not a heavy one, and
the 4Runner has no trouble stopping it. Of course, using the three
second rule helps.
--

John H

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:12:55 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:00:06 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

My 18' has a single axle shoreline trailer an no brakes....

My point, either misunderstood or ignored, was that even a 18 foot
bayliner weighs 3,000# including trailer and engine.

State law, then, would *require* that the trailer have brakes
installed, if it were to actually pass the inspection as spelled out.
I'm betting the lights wouldn't pass inspection, either.

Sucks... but those are the sort of requirements that would make the
business model of the OP viable.....

Perhaps I misunderstood your point. I didn't intentionally ignore it.

My boat came with a single axle trailer and no brakes. Perhaps the
state law mandates brakes for the load, I don't know. But the trailer
and load are not weighed as part of the safety inspection. In fact,
there is no requirement for a load on the trailer when inspected.

So, I have no brakes on this trailer, and haven't felt the need for
them. Towing the 21' Proline was a different matter. The trailer had
surge brakes.
--

John H

"John H" wrote

Virginia mandates an annual trailer inspection and display of a
sticker indicating such. The only things inspected on mine are the
tires and the lights. Still costs $12 for three minutes work.
--

John H

My state does not even require licensing a trailer that weighs less than
700# empty. I see a lot of unlicensed trailers running around that are
surely over that, but loaded, so how does a trooper PROVE that it's over
700# empty? So, there's a lot of people slide.

But, to my point. Go to a busy boat launch and walk among the trailers and
rigs of the people who are out boating. Look at their rigs. Some of the
stuff you see is downright scary. I know it's difficult to fix some stuff
with the boat on there, but if you can't fix it or have it fixed, you need
to turn in your captain's hat and bar bouy.

Steve

wrote

doubt someone would give him $50 for this, more like $20 if all he is
doing is repacking the bearings. The money comes when you start
selling lights, bearings and seals but that requires inventory.
Personally I would leave the bearings alone and just do lights with a
good system that people would recognize and respect.

I have a 16' Lund on a light trailer. 13" wheels. Took the bearings apart
when I got it, and they had some wear. I live less than ten miles from the
lake I fish, and don't get over 55, and 75% is less than 35. I took it to
get a price on new bearings. $200. I just repacked them, and keep an eye
on the tightness. If I start ranging out to farther lakes, I'll have it
done, or meet someone in the meantime who has a press and can do them for
less.

Steve

Rob Rob is offline

nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:12:43 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:01:15 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

This isn't some 3rd World
country.

Have you ever been to the big bend of Florida ;-)

Just kidding Ohara, but it may be a little "rustic" for a California
girl.

Never, but I'm pretty used to rednecks if that's what's around.

The South is a bit different than the west. There is a subtle
difference in the type of innovation, lifestyle and a whole lot of "we
don't care what you think". I am very much at home here but it drives
a lot of people from the rest of the country crazy.

The metaphor would be the difference between tangling with a grizzly
bear and wrasslin an alligator.
In both cases you are talking about an apex predator but the bear is a
sentient mammal you might be able to reason with, the gator is 400
pounds of prehistoric muscle and teeth that just wants to eat you.
Toss in the biggest snakes, bugs and lizards in the country and you
get a tough bunch of people who choose to live here. Don't confuse
this with the east coast that Harry likes or Orlando. That is just
where the transplanted New Yorkers go.
Much like the Seminoles 100 years ago, the real Floridians have been
pushed back into the swamps by northerners but their time is running
out.

Sounds like a youtube selection bear vs. gator, human vs. car.

??? It really sounds like that?

Rob

"Rob" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

There are some cool vids that have these contests... check it out.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:50:15 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

They also don't inspect cars here. That was Bob Graham's claim to fame
that got him in the governor's mansion, stopping the inspection program.

I'm a little conflicted by this. Inspections are a PITA, but it is nice
to know that all those cars out there had their brakes working at least
once a year. ;-)

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote

doubt someone would give him $50 for this, more like $20 if all he is
doing is repacking the bearings. The money comes when you start
selling lights, bearings and seals but that requires inventory.
Personally I would leave the bearings alone and just do lights with a
good system that people would recognize and respect.

I have a 16' Lund on a light trailer. 13" wheels. Took the bearings
apart when I got it, and they had some wear. I live less than ten miles
from the lake I fish, and don't get over 55, and 75% is less than 35. I
took it to get a price on new bearings. $200. I just repacked them, and
keep an eye on the tightness. If I start ranging out to farther lakes,
I'll have it done, or meet someone in the meantime who has a press and can
do them for less.

Steve

Just take a flat punch from the opposite side and drive out the race. To
install the race, set the new one in place and lay the old race on top, with
the sides contacting of different sizes. Lay a flat plate on top and drive
in the bearing. If the old race gets stuck, just hit the lip sticking out
with the punch. After that it is the same as packing bearings. And new
bearings are maybe $20 an axle at the autoparts store. Take the old bearing
with you to get the correct size. I think there are only two different
spindle sizes on modern trailers.
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#packhubs
will show how to pack bearings.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:23:42 -0800, Steve B wrote:

If I start ranging out to farther
lakes, I'll have it done, or meet someone in the meantime who has a
press and can do them for less.

Have you asked at an auto parts store? Many around here have a press, an
will press bearings for a couple of bucks, or for free, if they see your
face on a regular basis.