CalifBill CalifBill is offline

Default Starting a boat related business

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote

doubt someone would give him $50 for this, more like $20 if all he is
doing is repacking the bearings. The money comes when you start
selling lights, bearings and seals but that requires inventory.
Personally I would leave the bearings alone and just do lights with a
good system that people would recognize and respect.

I have a 16' Lund on a light trailer. 13" wheels. Took the bearings
apart when I got it, and they had some wear. I live less than ten miles
from the lake I fish, and don't get over 55, and 75% is less than 35. I
took it to get a price on new bearings. $200. I just repacked them, and
keep an eye on the tightness. If I start ranging out to farther lakes,
I'll have it done, or meet someone in the meantime who has a press and can
do them for less.

Steve

Just take a flat punch from the opposite side and drive out the race. To
install the race, set the new one in place and lay the old race on top, with
the sides contacting of different sizes. Lay a flat plate on top and drive
in the bearing. If the old race gets stuck, just hit the lip sticking out
with the punch. After that it is the same as packing bearings. And new
bearings are maybe $20 an axle at the autoparts store. Take the old bearing
with you to get the correct size. I think there are only two different
spindle sizes on modern trailers.
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#packhubs
will show how to pack bearings.