Default Starting a boat related business

Here is a thought experiment. Start a business on less than $5000.
It has been said that to enjoy your work and be successful, you should
go into a business you enjoy. Well, we are all boaters here,
so............
How often do you go to boat ramps and see 50 boat trailers sitting
empty the whole day while the boats are on the water? How many of
those trailers need to have their hubs re-packed? How many have
malfunctioning lights?
Get an old truck (already have one) and tools and grease and such and
go to the ramp at first light. As people get in line to launch offer
to repack their hubs while the trailer sits there. Offer to repair
trailer lights while it sits there. You would have to do this by
credit card cuz most people will not have $50 on them but that is ok.
You might be able to fix trailer brakes while you are there.

On 11/20/09 10:47 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
Here is a thought experiment. Start a business on less than $5000.
It has been said that to enjoy your work and be successful, you should
go into a business you enjoy. Well, we are all boaters here,
so............
How often do you go to boat ramps and see 50 boat trailers sitting
empty the whole day while the boats are on the water? How many of
those trailers need to have their hubs re-packed? How many have
malfunctioning lights?
Get an old truck (already have one) and tools and grease and such and
go to the ramp at first light. As people get in line to launch offer
to repack their hubs while the trailer sits there. Offer to repair
trailer lights while it sits there. You would have to do this by
credit card cuz most people will not have $50 on them but that is ok.
You might be able to fix trailer brakes while you are there.

I wouldn't trust someone like you, who combines the best of Murphy's Law
and the Peter Principle, to touch my trailer, let alone repack the hubs.
Sorry.

--
If you are flajim, herring, loogy, GC boater, johnson, topbassdog, rob,
achmed the sock puppet, or one of a half dozen others, you're wasting

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
Here is a thought experiment. Start a business on less than $5000.
It has been said that to enjoy your work and be successful, you should
go into a business you enjoy. Well, we are all boaters here,
so............
How often do you go to boat ramps and see 50 boat trailers sitting
empty the whole day while the boats are on the water? How many of
those trailers need to have their hubs re-packed? How many have
malfunctioning lights?
Get an old truck (already have one) and tools and grease and such and
go to the ramp at first light. As people get in line to launch offer
to repack their hubs while the trailer sits there. Offer to repair
trailer lights while it sits there. You would have to do this by
credit card cuz most people will not have $50 on them but that is ok.
You might be able to fix trailer brakes while you are there.

I think it's possible, but it would be tight. They would be paying for your
services and the cost of parts. You can either stock a lot of parts or go
get them somewhat as needed, right? I'd suggest the latter mostly, since
that would reduce your inventory, but you'd likely have to have a bunch of
standard stuff. There are costs and hoops to jump through to accept credit
cards... not trivial, so that's worth investigating. You'll need a business
license and insurance, both for yourself and for any possible damage to
customers' stuff. You'd want to insist on a cash deposit, since you could
end up doing the work and not getting paid. If the generic cost if $50 (for
example - I have no idea what repacking would normally cost, etc.), your
deposit should approach 50% (say $20, which almost everyone would have).

I know one thing ... I'm very wary of is being approached and solicited
about buying something or other. You would need to look professional...
e.g., have a small stand or station, not just some guy in a beat up pickup
truck. Maybe it's a sign on the truck panels? Also, you would probably need
to get permission from the owner of the ramp... if it's private. If it's
public, then that might be tricky.

One thing you could do is to try it with people you know who have boat
trailers... see what they think and how much they would pay for it to be
done.

If you're serious about this, the best way to start is to create a detailed
business plan. You can find tools online for free or for low cost. It's
worth it, since it would quantify most aspects of your costs and expected
return on investment.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Nov 20, 1:58*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

I'm thinking that the operator of the ramps is shortly going to have a
problem with this. Even if it's the local wildlife or state park
people. You're creating a liability. What if you get hurt doing
this? What if you damage another trailer that is not even one you are
working on? You're going to be asked to stop.

"H the K" wrote in message
[...]

If I'm paying someone to re-pack my bearings, I want a licensed, experienced
mechanic.
If it's amateur hour...I can fill the bill myself.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 6:01 pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

"Gene" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:47:44 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Here is a thought experiment. Start a business on less than $5000.
It has been said that to enjoy your work and be successful, you should
go into a business you enjoy. Well, we are all boaters here,
so............
How often do you go to boat ramps and see 50 boat trailers sitting
empty the whole day while the boats are on the water? How many of
those trailers need to have their hubs re-packed? How many have
malfunctioning lights?
Get an old truck (already have one) and tools and grease and such and
go to the ramp at first light. As people get in line to launch offer
to repack their hubs while the trailer sits there. Offer to repair
trailer lights while it sits there. You would have to do this by
credit card cuz most people will not have $50 on them but that is ok.
You might be able to fix trailer brakes while you are there.

I know where there was a large panel van set up to do just this. Owner
couldn't make it and the unit was put up for sale. That was in
Wilmington, NC.... it might make some beer money, but don't quit your
day job....

If it were to be done RIGHT, one would have to comply with so many laws
that
it would be cost prohibitive. You would need to carry several million in
liability alone. And then, either Fish and Game or Coast Guard would
come
into the picture. It is a microcosm of what's wrong with this country.
There's a need. There's a guy that wants to work. But there's all these
agencies and laws in the middle. It's so discouraging. So, what does a
guy
do? He goes black market, working from a van, and doing things for cash.
Then the unthinkable happens, and someone gets hurt or worse. Well, the
guy
probably doesn't have much to sue for, but even a poor schmuck can be
raked
over the coals by a bottomfeeding lawyer.

Steve

No, it's not a "microcosm of what's wrong." There are rules and regs for a
reason, some of which have been identified. If you have a legitimate
business, then the rules and regs can be traversed. If you don't, you
either
have to fly under the radar or not bother. This isn't some 3rd World
country.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Yes, Gaia forbid that somebody could achieve economic freedom.

?? Not sure what this has to do with reasonable rules and regulations. Feel
free to pollute all you want. I'm sure your neighbors won't mind.

--
Nom=de=Plume

jps jps is offline

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:06:46 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

I know where there was a large panel van set up to do just this. Owner
couldn't make it and the unit was put up for sale. That was in
Wilmington, NC.... it might make some beer money, but don't quit your
day job....

If you do it right, the millions worth of liability insurance you're
required to have make it prohibitive. Not to mention all the red tape
from
Fish and Game and Coast Guard.

Ah, I love our system. How's all that hope and change working out for
everyone?

Steve

You sound very bitter. Did this happen to you over the last eight years or
is a longer-term situation?

According to Steve, a black bitch yelled on TV that Obama was going to
pay for her mortgage and gasoline.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:06:44 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:58:16 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Actually, you are headed in the wrong direction.... most people won't
fix a trailer until it breaks. In fact I've seen one actually break in
the middle and dump the boat on the ground between the two halves.

There actually would be more work to do if the laws were strictly
enforced.... but then the laws are kinda stupid to begin with.

It ain't that simple...

Virginia mandates an annual trailer inspection and display of a
sticker indicating such. The only things inspected on mine are the
tires and the lights. Still costs $12 for three minutes work.
--

John H