Default Bimini tops

I, well, my wife actually, wants a bimini top for my Lund 16. Comes in at
around $500 for frame and canvas.

I'm a metalworker, and have a welder and an industrial Singer walking foot
sewing machine. A friend of mine used to do boat work, and I've seen him
make lots of tops. Not a lot to them, actually.

Hardware seems to be the costliest thing, all being stainless steel. The
tubing was probably special, too.

Went looking for boat part the other day, and noticed some hardware, and
IIRC, it was for 7/8" OD tube.

In all of your vast experiences, what would be your opinion of making one of
these out of conduit, or a light wall round tube? Possibly custom making
some of the hardware pieces out of steel that I can have powder coated. The
canvas could be Sunbrella, or even the cheap shadecloth material at Home
Depot is decent shade. I have a couple of big shadecloths of that material,
just had to resew the edges after about four years of 24/7 outdoors
exposure.

Anyone ever do this type of DIY project?

TIA

Steve

jps jps is offline

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:24:39 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Uncle Joe. It'll look as good as the material you use.

If you're going to go through the time and expense of making the
thing, you should use decent materials. You don't want to look at it
when you're done and say "****, wish I'd have..."

You can likely find a steel tubing outlet that can sell and bend the
pieces to spec. I did that with stainless rod a while back but it was
easy since there's a steel plant right in town.

I'd spend the $500 and find another project to save $.

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
[...]

My top[ has aluminum tubing frame. It does snap to the windshield, but I
see lots of small boat bimini's with aluminum frame. Use Sunbrella. You
will need a couple of hardware items. Maybe cheaper to buy on a couple
parts. You need a hinge for the top. West Marine WM Model #: 397275 but
you can also get a side mount hinge. Plus a hinge for the middle of the
main upright to allow the back hoop to fold against the main hoop. WM
592651 is what they look like. Just weld a couple ears on the tube. 7/8"
tube is probably fine for a 16; boat. Then a couple straps to go forward
and sternward to hole the top in place. WM Model #: 393514 is the attachment
for the boat. They also come in nylon. Cheaper. Just weld up a 4 of them.
http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/
is a picture of the top type.

wrote:

In all of your vast experiences, what would be your opinion of making one of
these out of conduit, or a light wall round tube?

I've seen some nice tops made with PVC tubing of all things - strictly
a fit and glue type of construction so it does work.

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

I agree with Jon - it can be done certainly and probably would be a
fun project, but spending your own time to do it right will probably
cost you $500 anyway.

However, if you build it, use Sunbrella - great stuff and you can
find, much like gfretwell, ends in good fabric stores for almost no
money. When I had the seat covers made for my Ranger, I found a roll
end at a place called Joann's - I think it was three yards and I got
it for $7. Cost me another $30 to have the material cut, fit and
sowen up. Custom covers for $37.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:12:44 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Casady

wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Sorry dude - EMT is thin walled flat cold rolled low grade
non-hardened steel.

It's basically white metal.
MMC MMC is offline

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Half that:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|5948|296194|606042|814411&id=605724
If your kids don't use it for monkey bars, you drop and wrap it when
trailering and protect it from the sun when not in use, it'll last a few
years.

HK HK is offline

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I've seen some professionally made tee-tops where the metal structure
was powder coated aluminum. After a couple of seasons, the powder
coating began to chip and abrade, and in some cases, reveal the metal
underneath. If it is steel, you'll get rust when the powdercoat wears
off. Also, don't forget to isolate your steel hardware and fasteners
from your aluminum hull boat (I'm assuming your Lund is aluminum).

On Jun 11, 12:24*am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Go ask this question he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...topics?lnk=rgh

You will probably get some great info and possibly a walk through from
start to finish with pictures These guys are pretty good at DIY
being home builders...

wrote:

However, if you build it, use Sunbrella - great stuff and you can
find, much like gfretwell, ends in good fabric stores for almost no
money. When I had the seat covers made for my Ranger, I found a roll
end at a place called Joann's

Same place

Sign up for their emails. Wife gets lots of 25-40% off coupons.

Bimini tops worth considering hk General 1 January 5th 09 09:24 PM
Bimini Tops Corsair23 General 7 October 26th 07 03:21 AM
best way to secure sit-on-tops donquijote1954 General 21 September 18th 07 05:29 PM
Navy tops/covers ? Boat Building 0 November 8th 04 06:07 PM
refinishing counter tops Cindy Ballreich Cruising 8 January 16th 04 05:07 PM